Chapter 31

I opened the truck door after I parked my truck and took a deep breath before I let it out with a small whoosh. My whole body was tense while I looked around before I stepped out, making sure that I turned off my truck and unlocked the truck's door so that they could get out too.

"What are we taking with us?" Clemson asked while he opened the truck door and got out too.

"The stuff in the bed of the truck," Corbin said and got out as well. "Everything besides the weapons, that is." He winked at me, and I rolled my eyes and scowled.

"The car seat stays in my truck," I said. "That was the only thing that Clint's pack needed back." I opened the door to the back passenger and looked at Hailey. "Ready to see where you're gonna be living for the time being?" I asked and raised an eyebrow.

Hailey clutched the wolf toy closer to her chest and shook her head. She frowned and pointed at me, and I knew that she wanted to stay with me and not go here.

I shook my head and pressed my lips into a thin line. "I'm too close to the bad man for you to stay with me," I said and unbuckled her seat belt. "I don't want anything bad to happen to you. It's too dangerous for you right now."

"But if she wants to live with you in the future, she can, right?" Corbin asked while he and Clemson started to get stuff out of the bed of my truck. He paused and looked at me with a raised eyebrow before he continued.

I pressed my lips into a thin line and got her out of the truck, ignoring his look. "If I am not moving around a lot then maybe," I replied. "I make no promises because I don't want to hurt anyone if I can't keep them."

Hailey frowned but nodded when I set her on the ground and walked over to where the men were still getting the bags. She looked at Corbin and blinked before she looked at me again, and I had a feeling that she wondered if he would be able to change my mind.

"Sorry, Kid," Corbin said apologetically while he shrugged and closed the back after they got everything out. "It's hard to change her mind when she thinks something."

I rolled my eyes and closed the truck door before I locked my truck and walked over to them. "It's not just that," I said. "I don't know where I am going to be next week or the week after. If all else fails, then I'm pretty sure that I might be the one to get blamed."

Clemson scoffed and rolled his eyes while he scowled. "For something that wasn't your fault in the beginning? Why?" he asked, and I shrugged. "Don't tell me it's because you are withholding information from us."

"You do realize that I am," I said and raised an eyebrow, and he shrugged. "Right?"

"I know," he replied, "and so does the king, but that still doesn't mean it's going to be your fault. You're trying to see that they and us stay safe because of something you had a hunch on."

"Not a lot of people will see it that way," I said and wrinkled my nose while I pursed my lips in annoyance. I grabbed a few of the bags and held out my hand for Hailey to take. "Come on, let's get you settled in for now."

She grabbed my hand, and we started to walk to the castle.

"Like who?" Clemson asked and started to follow us with Corbin at his side.

Both Corbin and I stared at him, both of us giving him an equally unimpressed look because he should know who had been giving me a hard time, especially since he had seen it first hand a few times.

Clemson blinked and blinked again while he looked at us with a raised eyebrow. "What?" he asked. "What did I do?" He cocked his head and stared at me, trying to figure out who I was talking about.