Chapter 17

I was on the line with the king out in the woods with Corbin near me. I was playing with my knife while I waited for him to say something, anything to lead us on a path that would benefit the group we were now in charge of.

Corbin was watching the knife with deep fascination, his eyes moving in every direction that it moved. He didn't care that I was watching him through half closed eyelids while I played with the knife, letting it catch the glistening sunlight.

The king sighed, and I had a feeling that he moved a hand across his face. "I am surprised that he left so many alive," he said.

"So am I," I replied. "What I am more surprised about is that he left newly shifted males alive. It was as if he didn't think that they were a threat."

"They aren't," the king said, and I hummed in agreement. "How many newly shifted were there?"

"Four boys," I replied. "There were only four boys."

"Females?"

"Seven."

The king hummed, and I knew that he nodded. "What about female warriors?"

"About a half of them are still alive." I paused. "I don't think that it is a good idea to let them be on the land until we get this whole thing situated."

"I agree," the king said. He sighed, and I knew he moved a hand across his face again. "The boy?"

"I don't think he is ready to take over as Alpha," I replied instantly. I ignored Corbin's curious gaze and kept my attention on the phone call. "He has a lot to learn and a lot of growing to do."

"What do you suggest?"

I raised an eyebrow and stayed silent.

The king sighed. "You know this group better than I, Kellum," he said. "I trust your judgment."

I bit my lip and nodded. "Clint is a good Alpha. I am sure that if I "asked," he would help train him."

"What about you?"

I rolled my eyes and scowled. "I might be Alpha born, but I have not trained to be an Alpha. The pack would be dead if I trained him." I scowled when Corbin snorted.

"Or you are too hard on yourself," the king pointed out. "You are that way, sometimes."

I scoffed and rolled my eyes but didn't respond. I gripped the phone tighter in my hand and set my jaw.

"All I am stating is the truth, Kellum," the king said. "You are mad about the truth."

"It's your opinion, Sire," I replied and placed my knife back into its sheath. I sighed and rubbed the bridge of my nose. "Clint and I don't have the resources to help the pack," I said, changing the subject. "The pack is crammed with this one, and my house is bursting at the seams."

"Would you mind if they were out of your sight?" the second-in-command asked.

"Clemson," I greeted coldly. "I didn't know you were there."

"I am," Clemson said. "Taliah is here, too. Say hi, Tally."

"Hi, Tally," Taliah said mockingly, and I had a feeling she rolled her eyes and scowled at the second-in-command. "We're the only three here, Kel," she said. "You don't need to get all huffy."

I rolled my eyes and scowled but didn't respond. "This is staying between us. Correct?" I asked. I sighed and rubbed the bridge of my nose, knowing full well what one of them was going to say. "Yes, I know that our conversations are being recorded. You don't need to bring that up."