Chapter 42

I bit back a small groan of annoyance when my phone started to ring, waking me up from what felt like an hour nap. I opened my eyes and pulled the seat up while Corbin glanced at me and answered the phone, using the buttons on my steering wheel.

"This is Kel," I said with a small groan and rubbed my face while I tried to wake myself up some more. "What do you want?"

Corbin narrowed his eyes and scowled while he looked at me before he looked at the road. He didn't say a word, but I could tell that he was annoyed about my behavior.

The person on the other end breathed a sigh of relief before they cleared their throat and grew serious, and I couldn't help but narrow my eyes and press my lips into a thin line. "Did you get my text?" the person, Brickson, asked. He cleared his throat again. "I was getting worried."

I bit back a small sigh and shook my head, feeling very guilty that I hadn't answered his text. "I did not see your text," I said while I moved a hand across my face. "I was asleep. Your phone call woke me up."

Brickson paused and cleared his throat, and there was this tapping sound. "Oh," he said before he cleared his throat again. "I'm sorry, Kel. I didn't mean to wake you. Are you ok?"

"I am," I said and bit back a small sigh before I looked at Corbin through narrowed eyes. "I am supposed to be woken up half way anyway."

"We are not halfway to the pack yet, Miss Rice. We are going to get gas though because we are almost out. You can start driving now if you want," Corbin said snarkily and grinned when I gave him an annoyed look. "I don't know why you are acting like that in front of me. You don't need to because I know what I am doing." He started to pull into the gas station, and I quickly looked around to see that we were not somewhere that I could be.

Shit...

"Corbin," I warned and narrowed my eyes, my whole body growing tense.

"What?" Brickson asked. "What is it?"

Corbin scoffed and rolled his eyes, unamused. "It's fine, Kel," he said. "We are stopping for gas and probably some food because you are getting hangry. There is nothing wr-"

"We are on someone else's territory and not on no man's land," I hissed through gritted teeth while I slammed my hand against the armrest, and he bit back a small smirk. "I am a Rogue, Corbin, or have you forgotten?"

Corbin rolled his eyes and pressed his lips into a thin line. "And I am part of the Royal Guard, Kellum. You are safe with me. No one will try anything with you unless they want the rest of the Royal Guard to be on their ass or if the king allows you to fight them."

"Bu-"

"I even have a king's order in my possession, so hahahaha," Corbin said, interrupting me, and I growled lowly while my eyes flashed to that of my wolf. "Now, go talk to your b-"

I growled again, interrupting him while my cheeks turned slightly red.

"Fine, mate, while I fill the truck up with gas and then we can go get some snacky snacks and some drinks. Do you need to pee as well?" He raised an eyebrow in amusement, earning a small warning growl from my mate.

Fucker...

I pressed my lips into a thin line, feeling the need to pee, and my companion grinned triumphantly.

"Of course you do," he said, cheerfully. "You always need to go when someone mentions the word "pee" if you haven't peed in a while. We s-"

"Shut. Up," I warned while I bared my teeth in his direction. "Now."