I Hit The Big Red Button

The first thing you noticed when you woke up was the plastic folder in your hands that left deep imprints from where you had been clutching it in your sleep. As you gained more and more awareness of your surroundings, your memories of your 'dream' started to return. They were slightly blurred, but one line that Željko had said that stood out from the rest like he was whispering it into your ear.

'...say nothing of this to BEN.'

You could do that. If it was a condition for information, you would follow it. There was one thing that your parents had taught you that you held in your daily moral code: follow your part of a deal if it will help the greater good. They had probably been thinking of helping people at school or at work, not helping an (undead) serial killer solve the copycat murder of your best friend, but if the cap fits, then you wear it.

The second that you noticed was the uncomfortable tightness of your skin—like you had cried at some point during the night. You didn't try and lie to yourself and pretend that you hadn't cried; the haunting melody that Iskra had written resurfaced in your head, making your eyes burn until you wiped the new tears away. You definitely had to wash your face now.

Once you were dressed and clean, you finally ventured downstairs, barely managing to set a foot into the living room before being slapped with a set of questions by BEN. Had he been waiting for you?

'Are you okay?' he asked. 'You were crying a lot last night, and you wouldn't wake up. Did you have a nightmare? Do I need to call Frankie? Do you need anything?'

'Huh? No, I'm fine. I didn't have a nightmare and I don't need anything. Where's Frankie?'

'Are you sure?'

'Yes, I'm sure! Where's Frankie?' you repeated, making yourself comfortable on the sofa.

'Got called in during the night not long after you fell asleep. It was something urgent, but he didn't say what.'

You made a face of disgust and asked, 'Something to do with Sherry, I assume?'

'Probably, with her being the spiteful witch she is.'

'Disgraceful. Did he say when he was coming back?'

'Nope. He should be back soon though—I don't think he can legally work much longer, unless he crashed with his "friend" for the night.'

'...Are you implying what I think you're implying?'

'Yes.' He grinned, wiggling slightly from side to side to accentuate his insinuation. 'Mark's obviously pretty good.'

'Don't want to think about that, thanks.' It was like discussing your parents' sex life in the first year of secondary school: utterly embarrassing and a topic of conversation that you wished to avoid at all costs.

BEN cackled to himself, patting your shoulder. 'Don't worry,' he cooed in an exaggerated manner, 'I'll protect you from all the scary sex talk as your knight in shining armour! Would that make you feel better, baby?'

Your heart went into overdrive as the nickname swam through your skull, and you turned your body away, staring out of the window. Dear fucking God you are going to kill me, you thought while muttering, 'You're an arse,' as you blindly extending your arm to whack him with the plastic folder as BEN continued to laugh at your misery.

'Ah, it's so fun winding you up,' he said, wiping a mirthful tear from his eye. 'Absolutely adorable.'

'You're actually gonna kill me one day,' you grumbled, pulling your arm back.