Maybe I Won't Die Next Time

happy 2024 ! i know im like. nearly three months late. c/w for talk of s/h

A night in hospital was all the only thing that prevented you from returning home immediately. After you had dozed off, BEN had removed you from his realm and taken you straight to the local A&E, as he had no idea what effect the realm had had on you. You were living, breathing human—something the realm classed as an 'invasive object'—and he had no idea what might have happened to your insides. Were you dehydrated? Bleeding internally? Riddled with cysts and tumours? He didn't have a clue, and it was killing him.

Turns out, you were fine. A little bit dehydrated, but other then that, you were fine. Once you had woken up and were able to answer the nurse's questions about how you felt, you were given a free bottle of water and sent on home. On your way out, you passed a farmer with a missing limb who smiled at you and asked, 'Feeling alright?'

You nodded weakly in response.

Your belongings were waiting by the front door upon your return, already packed and ready to go. You shot BEN a confused look which only vanished when he said, 'I asked one of the others to pack in case we had to leave in a rush. I didn't want you to be bleeding out and having to worry about packing.'

Even though there was no rush (you were physically fine), BEN still booked two seats on the earliest train to take you home. There was no time to wait for a taxi to drive you to the station, so BEN held onto your hand as you walked there, occasionally looping his arm through yours if he noticed that you were getting tired.

'I should really tell Frankie that we're going home, shouldn't I?' you asked as you sat on the cold station bench, waiting for the train to appear in the distance.

'Probably. Don't want to give him a heart attack when we turn up on the doorstep,' BEN replied with a grin. 'I dunno about you going to A&E, we might have to take Frankie.'

'He's not that dramatic.' In your attempt to defend your guardian's honour, you couldn't help but smile at the joke.

'You said he would end up in hospital from shock when you brought me home.'

'Yeah, but he knows you now. He'll only pass out.' As you spoke, you scrolled through your contacts until you found Frankie's file, your thumb hovering over the 'call' button. 'I hope he picks up,' you said, pressing 'call' and placing the phone against your ear.

Not only did he pick up, he picked up on the very first ring.

'(Y/N)! It's not like you to ring me, what's up? You alright?'

The moment you heard Frankie's voice, relief washed over you, and you gently took BEN's hand, giving it a small squeeze.

'I'm alright,' you said. 'Just wanted to tell you that we're coming home—just waiting for the train.'

'Now? Today?'

'Yep. Is it bad timing...?'

'No, no, it's not, I just wasn't expecting you back for a while. If...if it makes you feel better, me and Mark have been keeping an eye out and talking to people, and no one's seen your parents. You're safe.'

Your throat relaxed at his confirmation. 'Good. They can burn for all I care. More importantly, though—you've told Mark about them, have you? Is there something between you two that I should know?' You already had an idea of what the answer would be, and your smugness radiated down the phone line.

'You know I went on a date with him?'

'Yeah.'

'Well, we've been on a few more. I've asked him if he wants to be exclusive.'