Six Feet Under?

By definition, the Void was supposed to be an eternal sea of darkness. It was supposed to be empty. Following this logic, you shouldn't have felt anything as you fell through the desolate space. You should have ceased to exist, because existing in the Void meant that it was no longer the Void.

If there was nothing in the Void, then why were you suddenly hit with unbearable agony? You were only falling for a few seconds at most before hitting the floor, yet you felt enough pain to last a lifetime.

It started in your skin. Not on your skin, but deep inside your subcutaneous tissue, as if a billion knives were floating around inside of you, poking and slicing your nerves, veins, and anything else that their acute blades could find. It ignited something akin to fire in your nerves, and the only way you could express how much it hurt was to shriek at the top of your lungs. No swearing, no cries of, 'Ouch!' Just pure screaming.

Even though you were falling at an alarmingly fast rate, you writhed in the air, trying to do something about the burning sensation. You kicked, punched, and flailed, but nothing changed. The torture continued, and you couldn't help but wonder if you had fallen into Hell, and now you were being punished for your sins. Why else would your teeth hurt too? Only a demon would consider making you feel like your teeth were being rubbed with sandpaper.

Then, as if things were bad enough, they got worse, and you discovered a pain so intense that it halted your screams in an instant.

You couldn't breathe.

It was like an invisible hand had wrapped itself around your throat, pressing down on your bronchi so little to no air could get into your lungs. Each deep breath that you took felt as shallow as a light gasp, and soon you were swallowing down large gulps of air, ignoring the ache that was growing in your throat as a desperation to just fucking breathe filled your entire being.

Whenever a full breath did enter your lungs, it was like entering Heaven for a second before you were dragged back to the verge of breathlessness, and you were forced to take in yet another half-empty mouthful as tears filled your eyes. It felt almost futile, really; no matter how much you inhaled, you still felt like you were being suffocated.

It was the most infuriating, desperation-inducing thing that you had ever experienced, and the sensation of asphyxiation was so awful that it made you feel quite sick. Your chest heaved as yet another empty wheeze made its way into your alveoli, and your frustration grew tenfold.

Finally, you managed to open your airways just enough to allow some more oxygen to slip through, and you made a mental promise to never take breathing for granted ever again—a promise that was interrupted as your back hit the floor.

You really couldn't catch a break.

It didn't feel like you had just fallen through the Void. It was more like you had rolled out of bed or off a sofa and onto the floor that was forty-five centimetres below you. There was no pain or broken bones, just a mild ache along your spine (but that was most likely from the fact that the floor felt like it was made out of concrete, not because of the fall itself).

'Shit,' you groaned, rolling onto your side as your body got used to being stable instead of falling uncontrollably. 'That sucked. Holy shit that sucked.' Sucking in some air, you somehow managed to push yourself to your feet, placing a hand on the wall to help you balance and take some pressure away from your shaking legs.

Now you had another problem: where were you?

The walls, despite being solid under your palms, seemed to ebb and flow, swelling and easing off like water stuck in a bag. Its deep purple hue twirled into a green, then a blue, as though the walls were merely showing off their kaleidoscopic possibilities while also trying to give you a headache. Neither the floor nor the walls wanted to be the same colour, so they were both constantly changing.