•4

Cultural fests are always so tiring, yet exciting. And for Annika, they are a whole lot of a roller coaster ride. Since she always has to perform. It's like a ritual now.

In these four years, the university knows her as the 'singer girl'. She didn't take any learning lessons in her life for this. It was an inborn talent in her.

We can say it was her talent rather than a skill.

"Hey Annika. Can you please help me carry the box to the staff room. You see Ms. Sharda will kill me if I misplace any of her stuff. And this is literally her favourite Jewellery box." One of her friends, Niharika said to Annika who was on her way to dorm. Her part of work had been completed already.

Durring these fests, students are given works. And after there task is done, that can go back to their respective pavelion.

But since Niharika asked nicely, Annika decided to help her. They had taken Ms. Sharda, their HOD's favourite jewellery box as an inspo for gifts. They will be gifting stuff to all the teachers at the end of the fest.

And since Niharika was busy with other stuff like making list and handling the flowering, Annika agreed.

She made her way towards the HOD's cabin and knocked twice. No reply came. But then she twisted the knob a little and some voices reached her ears. Voiced like arguments.

"You can't control my life no matter what." An oddly familiar voice reached her ears.

"It's not called comtilling. It's called making one's life, Madhyam." It was Ms. Sharda's voice.

Madhyam? As in Madhyam Sahay?

"No mom. It's called manipulating your kid into doing something he don't want to. And that's also something you are master in. Aren't you doing it since, what seem like forever?" And that was the time Annika knew she came on the worst time possible.

As much as her guts told her to get lost from outside the cabin, her legs opposed. She stood stuck at her position and listened to their further conversation.

Conversation between Ms. Sharda Diwan, their HOD and her son, as Annika got to know about right now, Madhyam Sahay.

"Don't you dare use such words and tone on me Madhyam. Do not forget who raised you up when your trash of a father literally threw us out of his house. That cheating bastard." Ms. Sharda sounded really angry and irritated at the mention of Madhyam's father, and maybe her ex husband.

"I know mom. He is a trash person and I agree that. But that's doesn't mean you can do whatever you want with my life. I never wanted to take this stream but did you care? No. I never wanted to learn chess but you forced me into it too. You told me to make friends but never allowed me to actually spend time with them.

You didn't hurt me physically mom, never, but what about the mental stress you kept giving me always? And you are still doing that by forcing me to take up this job. I do NOT want to mom, why can't you understand?" Something in Annika's heart broke at this.

His voice sounded so delicate and he was on the verge of breaking. She could sense that.

"Unbelievable. You are playing victim card now? Great than, go on my boy. Just know that I'm out of it." Ms. Sharda said this and Annika heard the sound of heels. She quickly hid behind the adjacent empty cabin's door and came out once the HOD was out of her view.

She, from the glass on Ms. Sharda's cabin saw him.

Him. Broken. Shattered. On the floor. Tears falling out of his eyes.

She knew she shouldn't be doing this no matter how kind it would be. But she couldn't hold herself in. So without any further thought she did the most sensible thing she could then and there.

She went inside and hugged him, him who was on the floor. Lost and alone.

❛ ━━・❪ ❁ ❫ ・━━ ❜