Father Burger Place Seizure

Father Burgers Place Seizure

When I was 17 and living with the Simpletons I still tried to stay in contact with my family which was pretty much just my father. One day I had the use of my friend Carleton's mom's minivan and so I called my dad asking if I could pick him up and go get a shake from Burger's Place and spend some time together. I picked up my father at their apartment and we went to Burger's Place. I ordered us shakes, mine vanilla, his chocolate. My father told me he was going to save his as a treat for later, but I was going to drink mine now and so we sat down at a table in the restaurant. It was only medium crowded, so seating wasn't that hard to find.

A few moments after we sat down I noticed my father's eyes start to twitch and he wasn't responding. I immediately knew something wasn't right and so I stood up, helped him get up and guided him up and tino the mini-van while he was still able to walk. As we reached the passenger side he was almost unable to get in but we managed it. I had rarely been to this side of Oakland and there were two hospitals the closest of which I had no idea the location. This was before I owned a smartphone and gps wasn't as common. Anyways, I drove as quick as possible back to my parent's apartment which was two minutes away down the road as my dad became fully unresponsive and was starting to sweat profusely with his eyes closed.

I ran up the stairs and banged on my parrent and sister's apartment door very hard several times, as my sister opened the door. I yelled "I need someone to show me how to get to the hospital dad is unresponsive and getting worse." My mother was taking a bath and couldn't find her clothes, so my sister came with me as we went down the stairs. She had to bring my three-year-old nephew Canton and so they got in the backseat and buckled up and she began telling me where to go, where to turn and how to get to Saint Michael Hospital.

I was speeding the entire time going maybe 60 in a 30 as my dad sat in the passenger seat still conscious but eyes closed, head down, profusely sweating. We arrived at the hospital in less than five minutes on a what would have been a ten-minute drive. I pulled the mini-van up to the emergency room, got out, and ran inside to tell them my father needed help. The one thing that truly made me angry was that the staff casually discussed what was going on and slowly walked outside with a wheelchair to move my father.

They wheeled my father inside and myself and my sister followed. He was taken back immediately to a room, typically it's an hour or longer wait, but he needed care now. They told me and my sister to wait in the waiting room and so we did and I believe my sister called my mom and she arrived a few moments after we did and she came inside. My sister had her 3-year-old child with her so the two of them took my mom's mini-van back to their apartment while I staying in the ER with my mother. My parents only had one car and I had the Simpleton's min-van so we decided I would stay and drive my parents back to their apartment after we were done.

Eventually my mother and I were called back, it wasn't too long. I wasn't told exactly but I think this was a seizure caused by my father's cessation of alcohol. They gave him an Ativan and he was instantly better, but I made him feel pain with my words as he returned to us.

They called us back and we saw my father in his room, he was fine and so me and my mother stepped out of the room while he got dressed. This was when my mother was going through chemotherapy and as we were standing there she became nauseas and couldn't help herself as she tried vomiting in the trash can next to her. I should have tried taking off the top, but I stood there doing nothing as she attempted to vomit into the open flap and then on the floor.

My father finished getting dressed and as he came out of the room and saw the vomit, he asked "what happened?" and I told him with malice that "you took too long." It was as if he was to blame for my mother getting ill and God, I'm so sorry for those words I spoke to him and how it made him feel, I truly am.