Chapter 74/221: Return of the Sole Heir

Won't request any votes or comments - we just ask you to ENJOY :)

P.S. a mini surprise waiting for you in the end.

~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•

From behind Abel Daniels, stepped in none other than Scarlett Thorne, my illegal half sibling. "Hey, the hell is that dumbfounded expression? You look like you're waiting for some celebrity autograph."

I jumped slightly in place, pulled out of my stunned state.

Turning towards the 'celebrity' I was surprised with, I gaped at him. "A-Abel! What are you doing here?"

As cool as I've always known him, Nicholas Daniels arced a brow at me. "Do I leave or what?"

"Le–No! I just meant I'm surprised!" I voiced out, turning towards Lord Sebastian Keith at that. "I thought we were going to discuss... you know..." I tried being discrete.

"The Ellington Christmas Ball?" Came Abel's calm voice from behind me, too unfazed.

I gulped, turning back towards him. "Wait, you know?!"

Scarlett chuckled from beside him, shutting the door behind her as she shrugged. "I figured he'd make a good aid, given the fact he knows your history with the Ellingtons and is invited to the Ball as a branch president."

I bit my lips, looking back at Abel thoughtfully. Now that she mentioned it...

We moved from the entrance to the living room, where Sebastian commenced with explaining what he had in mind.

"The ball is expected to last for four hours, over which various activities can be held to entertain the guests." He smoothly spoke as he lit a cigarette. "As can be expected, food and drinks will be served, music will be played, and various dancing rituals will be held."

Scarlett, Abel and I nodded like good students, as his lordship shifted his concentrated gaze among us.

"But that will not be our interest."

Puffing some of his smoke, Sebastian let his jades finally fall into mine.

"Both Van Darco and Keiran Oblonsky will be attending the ball."

I shuddered.

Van Darco and... Vera Valentina's husband...

The main allies of the Chairman.

I bit my lips, my expression hardening as I fixed my eyes back into his. "Meaning a lot of information can be gathered from their mere presence, am I right?"

"Bingo!" Sebastian mused back, "I expect rather interesting interactions and dynamics to take place during the ball. Every small detail can potentially be a thread for you leading to an information bank."

I shuddered, adrenaline rushing through my veins. "But then what about Scarlett and Abel?" I altered my looks between the two. "What's their part in the plan?"

Keith tightened his jaw at this. "Scarlett will act as Daniels' secretary. That's the only way she can come in. They're intensifying the surveillance on the staffing of this ball after what happened in the annual one."

"I see." I gulped, my chest tightening as I frowned. "But how do we guarantee acquiring information?"

Casually reaching for Sebastian's pack on the table before him, my sister placed a cigarette between her lips at this— "Easy. One, you have me." And lit it.