Chapter Nineteen

I woke seven sharp that next morning, jumping up from the couch, ready.

Mini was in the kitchen cooking.
"Is everything okay?" She asked, seeing how I had woken so quickly.

"... Yes. Sorry."

"Oh no, honey, you're okay," she stared at me curiously. "Wanna help me make some pancakes?"

I nodded, walking into the kitchen to stand beside her.

"Now, I got all the ingredients out, we just have to make the batter. If you want to start on that, I'll start making some scrambled eggs," Mini said as she took out another pan.

She pulled out a small notebook from a cabinet and flipped through the pages until she found what she wanted. "Just follow the instructions and you'll be good to go," she smiled softly.

I had started whipping the batter when Dominic came downstairs, wearing only plaid pajama pants. His hair was tousled, sticking out here and there. His tanned skin and cut body.

My face burned. I looked away before he could notice me staring.

"Smells amazing in here," he said, walking behind me.

"Dom, go put a shirt on, we have a guest here," Mini scolded.

"Why?" He took a blueberry out from the fridge. "I stand around here half the time without a shirt. You tell us all the time how Violet is like family." He walked around and leaned against the island, popping the blueberry into his mouth.

I'm like family to them?

"Dom, just go please," Mini pointed with her spatula.

He raised his hands in surrender, "fine, fine." He winked at me as he walked past.

Mini sighed, "these eggs are done. Katie!" She called. "Breakfast is ready. Here I'll make the pancakes. Katie doesn't like them for some reason," she chuckled as she shook her head disapprovingly.

Katie sat up after a minute or two and slowly walked into the kitchen, taking a seat on one of the stools. Mini passed her a plate of scrambled eggs.

Dominic had returned and went into the living room, sitting down on the couch.

I had to leave for work soon. My shift started at 9:30. I was working alone today.

"Dom, you wouldn't mind driving Violet to work today, would you?" Mini asked. Katie couldn't because her shift started at eight.

I opened my mouth to say something, but Dominic beat me to it. "Sure, I don't mind. When?"

"... 9:30," I answered.

He stood and walked into the kitchen, where Mini had just begun passing out her pancakes.

We ate, Katie left, saying goodbye sleepily, and then before I knew it, the clock hit 8:30.
Dominic went outside and started his car.
He opened the door for me.

"Thank you."

Once he got in, he turned to look at me, "you okay today?"

I nodded.

"You sure?" He dragged.

I nodded again, a smile forming on my lips.

"You'd tell me if you weren't?"

Slowly, I nodded, even though I knew this wasn't true.

A small smile was on his lips, "alright."