Chapter Forty-Eight

I woke in Dominic's arms; in a room I had never seen before. His arms were wound around me, safe and warm. I wanted to push myself away, but feared touching him or waking him if he was asleep.

"You're awake?" His voice was deep with sleep, his hold tightening as he shifted slightly. I nodded, realizing then his jaw was rested against the top of my head. "Mm."

My heart started to race. "... Where am I?"

"Mm, my apartment," he said casually.

I glanced around the room. The dining table had papers and books scattered across the surface, the kitchen was large and tidy except for a solitary gray coffee cup by the sink, and the living room, with its lavish couches and pillows was clean and well kept. I looked above to an expensive but small chandelier.

"I need to go back; I can't stay here." I carefully put my hands at his sides to push up.

"Vio-let," he dragged. My heart stirred. I looked back at him, his head was leaned back against the couch cushion, his Adam's apple bobbing as he swallowed, his embrace looked so inviting and warm.

"Take me back home," I finally managed to say.

"Mmmm," he groaned as he sat up, bringing me closer to him. "Come on. I could show you those Alice in Wonderland movies. You haven't seen those."

"I... Can't. Clara."

"Text her. I'm sure she'll be okay with you being here." A smile spread across his face when I didn't answer. He gently took my jaw in his large hand, "Violet, stay."

I looked at him, glancing between his blue eyes and the collar of his dark shirt. I didn't know what I wanted. A small part of me wanted to cave in and stay, but another part of me said to leave, that he couldn't be trusted.

But I do trust him..., don't I?

He had moved closer, his face inches from mine. My heart raced and I panicked, pulling away quickly. He smiled in spite of this act of denial and looked at my lips. "You don't like the idea of being kissed, do you?"

I looked at him, nervous and stammering for an answer.

He smiled, "It's not bad, especially who you're doing it with." He pulled me in closer and I ducked into his chest. He laughed softly and kissed the top of my head instead, the act still making my face boil.

"It's hard not to kiss you 24/7. Your lips just look so soft, and smooth." He tucked a strand of hair behind my ear and kissed the side of my face.

I pulled away, "stop," I said sheepishly.

"Stop?" He repeated in a laughing tone, bringing himself closer to see me. I pushed on his shoulders, but he took my hand and began kissing my palm and wrist.

"Dominic, please," I pleaded, my heart racing faster.

He looked at me, "that's the first time I've actually heard you say my name." He leaned his head back on the cushion, closed his eyes and sighed deeply, satisfied. "I wish you'd say it more often."

"Please take me back," I said softly.

He looked at me a moment, "I really don't want to," and then sighed and stood, taking me with him. "Not out past midnight, huh," he said unemotionally, tapping a knuckle against the bridge of my nose.