Chapter Ten

Katie dropped me off at work Monday evening, being that Clara worked till six.

She had told her parents that I had got a job, and they were ecstatic. I had smiled so much that night my face had hurt.

I couldn't remember the last time I had smiled that much.

"Ah, Violet, dear, how are you?" The old woman asked.

"Well, thank you," I said.

"Wonderful... Now, I didn't know what size you wore, but this looked about right." She reached under the wooden counter and pulled out a neatly folded lime green shirt.

"I have two, short sleeved and long sleeved," she said, pulling out another.
"Oh dear, I forgot to introduce myself. I'm Mary-Lee, and my daughter should be in the back," she started walking away.

I stood there, confused as to whether I should have followed her or not.

But she came back with a younger looking woman, who had a pixie cut and small little orange earrings.

"Well, how are you?" She stuck out her hand, "I'm Marley."

"Violet," I said.

"Now, ain't that a pretty name."
Marley, as well as Mary-Lee, were not very tall, but they seemed to tower over me.

They showed me how to work the cash register, which was an old-fashioned gold metalic one from the 1950s.

Marley, who only worked till six, had left to go home, while Mary-Lee went on a break.
The building was two storied, Mary-Lee, who lived upstairs shuffled around as she did different things.

I walked around, looking at the different flowers, cleaning up petals or leaves that had fallen off.

The bell rang, and I looked back to see Dominic walking in. I walked back behind the counter.

"Hey," he said. "Katie told me you worked here now."

"Yes... It's my first day."

"Yeah? How's it going so far?" He asked.

"Good."

He smiled and looked at me, "so... is that your uniform?"

I had changed earlier in the bathroom, and the shirt was a little snug, hugging my waist and breast, outlining my frame. I didn't like it, but I didn't say anything.

I nodded, subconsciously putting my hands over my stomach.

"Hmm, it looks good on you," he said, looking me up and down.

I hadn't known what to say, so I nodded and awkwardly walked away, messing with the boutique papers.

"... Were you wanting anything?" I asked slowly.

"No, I just wanted to see you. See how you were doing," he said. My face warmed, and I kept my head down.

"When do you get off?" He asked.
I turned and looked up at him briefly.
"Two hours," I answered.

"Hmm, do you like Italian?" He asked. I looked at him, and my eyes went wide.
... Was he asking me on a date? Me? No, surely not that.

"... Why?" I asked cautiously.
He smiled, "Katie, she's getting her friends all together."

"Oh... Oh, okay."
"Why?" He leaned forward, "expecting something else?"

"No," I grabbed my sleeve, "of course not."
He leaned back, smiled, "hmm. I'm going to go then," he raised his hand briefly in a motionless wave.

Once the door closed, I breathed out a sigh of relief.