Chapter Thirty-One

A car pulled into the driveway, the headlights blaring.

I covered my eyes as a tall figure stepped out of the car. Instantly, I knew who it was.

"Violet!" He called and stepped onto the porch.
I stood as he came closer, and then he wrapped me in his arms. He held tightly, and I almost felt panicked.

"Dominic, please," I said, putting my hands on his shoulders.

"My mom told me," he said, pulling away, only slightly. Snowflakes dotted his hair and shoulders. "Why are you out here? It's cold, you feel cold."

"I love the snow," I stated.

An amused smile curved on his lips, "you love the snow? You're going to freeze though if you stay out here too long." He took my hands, his were large and warm compared to mine. "Your fingers are already red."

He looked at me and cupped my face, "and your face. If that's the cold or from me, I can't tell."

My face boiled at his comment.
He laughed, "Now I know that's from me."

I turned my head, wanting to escape from his stare.

"He's in jail then?" He asked softly. He took my hands again, holding them between his own to warm them up.

I nodded, "this morning."

"Good," he said darkly. He stared at me, his blue eyes boring into mine, "I wanna take you out," he said suddenly, and smiled at my surprised expression, "and yes, a date. This weekend, I'll pick you up. Seven should be good."

I looked down, trying to hide my bundle of nerves.

He smiled, lowering his head so he could see me, "seven should be good?" He asked, his voice softened, and I felt almost weak standing there with him so close to me.

I nodded, keeping my head lowered.
Suddenly, he felt closer. It was as if the snow stopped falling and time stopped briefly in that moment. "Why won't you look at me?"

My face felt warmer. I slid my hands out from his and pushed weakly on his shoulders, my hands ending up in small fists resting there.

He smiled, once again grabbing my hands, "you should go in, Violet. You look cold."
He nodded towards the door.
"You can watch the snow from your window."

He stepped back and opened the door for me. "I'll be here tomorrow," he promised.

The snow resumed its steady fall.

I stared at him, almost reluctant as I walked to the door, and closed it, leaning back against it from the inside and releasing a shaky breath.