Chapter Fifty-Five

We arrived at the Florida Villa that night. The air was pleasantly warm with a cool breeze coming from the sea. The ocean, exactly as Ethel had described. I stood on the balcony, admiring the view. An endless landscape of sea. If only Clara was here.

The door opened behind me. "A few of them are going down to the beach." Dominic stood next to me, crossing his arms over his chest. He looked at me, "you haven't seen the ocean before, have you?"

I shook my head.

He moved closer, "it's nice. We usually come down once a year. My family has owned the villa for a few generations. I know you like history. I didn't know if you'd find that interesting or not."

I smiled softly, and he continued. "I'm sure you knew that though with all the old architecture." He leaned down, resting his elbows on the railing and looked at me. "Are you going down?"

I shook my head.

"Violet, are you okay?" He tucked a strand of hair behind my ear.

I looked down at the pale skin and the veins underneath, thinking. "I'm okay."

He smiled and straightened, bringing me into his arms. "I don't believe you."

"I am though... I'm content."

He lifted my chin, "mmm, okay."

I pulled away, wanting separation, but he caught my arm. "Come on," he motioned his head towards the door.

I let him lead me inside by the hand, around the indoor balcony and then downstairs into a corridor off to the side. The corridor was small and dark, light coming from each end. I panicked, horrifying memories coming back. I felt the space narrow, the air grow denser, soft moans echoing on the air.

"I can't," I halted, trying to get out from Dominic's grip, but he held strong, pulling me closer.

"Violet, it's okay. I'm not doing anything to you."

"I don't know that." My voice started to shake.

He stared at me and sighed slowly. He came closer, and I felt my breath hitch when he lifted me. I struggled, trying to get out from his grip, panicking, wanting to scream but I couldn't. I thought I could trust him.

He carried me towards the other end and then to a door. Light flooded into the corridor.

Gently, he put me down. It was an indoor garden full of flowers and small trees, birds chirped from inside and bees pollinated. Roses and hydrangeas, wisteria trees, balloon flowers and rows of tulips. Old architecture made of stone surrounded the garden, covered in flower filled vines. Great dark beams held the roof in a triangular shape. It was beautiful.

"History and flowers," Dominic came up beside me. "I always thought this room was a waste of money," he looked at me. "I'm glad it's here."

I breathed in deeply, trying to keep the tears at bay.

Dominic would never hurt me.

"I'm sorry," I blurted, my voice breaking.

"No. Why? Why are you crying?" He took my face in his hands.

"... I assumed you were going to hurt me. That... That corridor," I pointed back weakly. "It reminded me... of things." He held me close, holding me upwards. I clutched his clothing, scared I'd fall, scared he'd let me go, scared of falling into an abyss of memories.

"No, Violet. No, I'd never hurt you," he said gently.

"Please don't let me go!" I cried.

"I promise. I'll never let you go."