Chapter Fifty-Seven

Katie took me along with her that morning to shop for bathing suits, along with a few of her friends.

"Ooh, this is cute," Katie took out a blue and white striped bikini. She hung the hanger on her wrist as she continued flipping.

I looked at a few, browsing carelessly, until I saw a baby blue two piece, a small white bow at the breast. I looked at it, loving the way it looked, but knew I'd never wear it. It brought too much attention.

"You should definitely get that," Katie peered over my shoulder and took the bikini, studying it.

"No-"

"I'll buy it for you. It's too cute to pass up," she interrupted.

And after another hour of shopping and trying things on, we left and returned back to the villa, where a few of the boys were outside shirtless and throwing a football around on the sand. Dominic being one of the few.

I purposefully didn't look at him, while Katie was gawking Nick.

As the day reached evening, we were all out on the beach. I stayed in jeans and a long-sleeved shirt. I sat in a chair and read Alice in Wonderland. Katie came bounding over, wet, and took my arm. "Come on, go change. You have to be hot in that. Go wear that bikini I bought you."

"Katie, I feel exposed."

She smiled, "we all are. Look at me." She grabbed the string of her bikini top and shook it. "You could wear a t-shirt over it if you really care that much."

When I didn't move, she took my hand and led me inside, dripping all across the floor. "Come on, V. Who cares what other people think. Put yourself out there. I'm trying to help you, confidence wise."

I stared at her and then finally went into my room and changed, as suggested, pulling a long shirt over it. I looked at my legs. Though the orphanage made us wear skirts, I felt naked seeing my legs exposed.

When I came out, Katie took my hand and led me outside. The sun was setting, and someone was trying to start a fire to sit around. I kept a hand on the hem of my shirt, making sure it stayed down.

Katie plopped down on the sand by the fire, bringing me down with her. "Hey! Spin the bottle?" She called to one of the guy's Mark invited. He nodded and then hollered. People came bounding over quickly until we had formed a large circle.

I looked back and saw Dominic, his arms crossed over his chest and standing next to another guy holding a football. His eyes locked with mine and upon seeing me, he joined the circle. I watched as he took a seat next to Nick across from me.

"Everyone know how to play?" Someone called over the chatter. There was a few no's or nods. "Well, anyway, spin the bottle, whoever you land on you gotta kiss."

My eyes widened and I looked across to Dominic. He stared at me, looking from head to foot.

The game started, and slowly, we went around the circle. I watched, panic slowing rising as my turn was coming up.

Before I knew it, Katie was leaning forward and spinning the bottle, landing on Nick. Immediately, she blushed and quickly leaned across to him, there kiss lasting slightly longer than others.

"I can't. I can't play," I stood.

Katie whined and reached to grab my hand but missed. "V!" She dragged, but I ignored her.

I walked away, tugging my shirt and trying to steady my heavy breathing.

"Violet!" Dominic caught my arm. I flinched, jerking away. "Hey, it's okay, breathe." He took me into his arms and held me close. "What's going on? Everything okay?"

I swallowed, speaking in between breathes, trying to push his bare chest away from me. "I can't... I can't play... I can't wear this. I don't feel okay, I feel vulnerable."

He tucked my hair behind my ears. "Okay, no one's making you. Come on. You go change. I'll wait in the hall." I couldn't help but hear the slight annoyance in his tone.

I went up to my room and changed, then opened my door cautiously. Dominic stood on the other side, wearing nothing but plaid pants. He stood there, a muscle protruding in his jaw.

"Dominic?" I said quietly. He looked at me and almost immediately his eyes softened.

"Hmm?"

"Did I do something?"

"No, Love. I'm not mad at you." He pushed on my door and stepped in.

"... You sounded annoyed though."

"Annoyed, yes, but not at you. Katie." He took a seat on my bed. "She's just blind to others feelings." He looked at me and leaned forward to grab my hand, pulling me in between his legs. His hands grazed my arms, sending goosebumps over my skin.

"Please... You're making me cold."

"I'm making you cold?" He grinned, wrapping me up in his arms. "How's that?"

I pushed on his shoulders. "Your hands."

He grabbed me, lifting me onto his leg. "I wouldn't say that's making you cold, you're just ticklish," his mouth curved into an amused grin. He stared at me, "I want you to stay with me."

My breath hitched. "... Live with you?"

He let out a soft laugh, "eventually, but I meant staying with me tonight. My room."

"Oh... I don't know."

"Mmm, come on," he dragged. "I don't plan on doing anything to you. I'll keep the light on if you really want me to. I just want to be near you, Violet."

I stared at him, thinking it all over. I trusted him. He made sure I was okay and protected me. I could trust him.

I nodded slowly, "okay." And with that, he carried me across the balcony to his room.