Chapter Seventeen

Katie had invited me to stay over that night.
I brought the pajamas I bought from Victoria Secret and a book along with me.

Mini had ordered takeout from a Greek restaurant. Alan was working and wouldn't be back till almost midnight, as well as Dominic, who, to my surprise, worked at a bar.

As Mini evenly filled our plates, as well as leaving plenty for the boys when they got home, Katie told me about the time she snuck out to go to the bar, stupidly, she added, the one where Dominic worked.

"It was so nice in there, too. There was this stage at the front, most likely for strippers or something," she whispered. "It was huge, and there was a ton of people and booths. The bar was so long, too. You should definitely come with us sometime. Well, would Clara let you, or would you have to sneak out?"

I stammered. She cut me off before I could speak, "well, just sneak out, but yeah, we should definitely go out sometime. Obviously, a night when Dominic isn't working."

Katie hushed up when Mini came closer with our plates. "Here you go," she joined us on the floor.

I held my plate in my hands as they dug in.
"Something wrong?" Mini asked.

At the orphanage, we never ate on the floor.
This is what I cautiously explained to Mini.

"Oh, well honey, it's quite alright here. Katie eats in front of the couch all the time." Mini put her plate on the floor. "If it makes you feel better, we can eat at the table?"

You must not complain.

I shook my head, "it's alright, thank you." I took up my fork and slowly brought it to my mouth. I looked around me, almost instinctively, but nothing happened. As many times as I did this, I still felt on edge, as if Sara would suddenly appear and hit me with her cane for disobeying their rules.

Once the meal was finished, we played a few card games. Later, Mini grabbed some blankets, tucking them into the couch for us to sleep in. I looked at the clock. It was already eleven.

"Dominic should be home soon," Mini said, putting her hands on her hips. She yawned loudly, "will you girls be alright if I went to bed?"

Katie shrugged a shoulder, "we'll probably play another game or two."

Mini nodded, "alrighty then, don't stay up too late. Goodnight, girls."

Katie went to the closet, hands on her hips as she looked at the different games.
"Scatagories? Battleship?" She asked. "Actually, Battleship would probably be our best bet. Scatagories would be boring with just two." She went to grab the box when the front door opened and Dominic walked in, wearing dark pants and a black shirt, the sleeves rolled up to his elbows.

"Hey," he smiled at me, then looked at Katie, "you playing a game?"

Katie looked at him, "none of your business."

He took a seat on the floor across from me, ignoring Katie.

She glared at him briefly and then looked back in the closest, "Ohh!" She exclaimed. "Monopoly!" She grabbed the box and seated herself on the floor.

"Do you know how to play this?" Katie asked. I shook my head.

"You've never played Monopoly?" Domonic said. I opened my mouth to answer, but Katie beat me to it. "I don't think so. We've played a few cards games, and she didn't know how to play any of those."

He looked at me, and his brows furrowed slightly, as if he felt sorry for me, as if he was curious.
I almost hated it, hated that he felt that way.

Don't feel sorry for me, I deserved the childhood I had.

Katie opened up the box, setting it up, as Dominic explained the rules to me.
By only ten minutes in, I was out. I didn't mind it, though. The game was fun, but I enjoyed watching Katie and Dominic, who were both so competitive.

I laughed so much my mouth hurt by the time the game was over.

Katie started collecting all the tiny little houses as Dominic rearranged the money.
"I'm tired," Katie said, stretching her arms out.

I stood and sat down on the couch, wrapping one of the blankets around me.
Katie went to put the box back in the closest.

Dominic stood and came closer, "are you cold? I could get you another blanket."

"I'm cold too, Dom, you should get me one," Katie said jokingly.

"Shut up," he said, then turning back to me, a small smile on his lips. "Yes? No?"

I smiled, "yes, please."

Katie flopped down on the other couch, wrapping herself up in the blankets.

"Here you go," Dominic said softly. I flinched as he draped it around my shoulders. I know he saw, but he didn't say anything, to my relief.

"Dom, could you turn the lamps off while you're at it?" Katie said, situating her blankets.

"I-" I stopped.

Dominic looked at me, "what?" I opened my mouth, wanting to say something. I kept glancing at Katie and then the floor.

Do not complain.

"Maybe we should keep one on," Dominic said. I looked at him.

"Ughhh, why?" Katie groaned.

"If one of you needs to get up or something, you'll have a little light to see," he said. His eyes were locked on mine.

"Ughh, I guess. Anyway, shoo, I'm tired," she said.

He laughed softly, "okay." He turned the other lamps off, leaving one on. I smiled very softly at him as he walked by, hoping he'd know how grateful I was to him as he left the room.

Katie hollered, "Thanks, dad!"