Chapter Forty-Five

He bought me clothes, new shoes and dresses, different shirts.

I hadn't said a word, only slowly adding up the total in my mind, so I knew how much to pay him back one day.

The price was overwhelming.

Then, after the excursion, he took me to dinner. Another bill to add.

The restaurant was small and very empty.
I looked around but saw no one there.

Dominic moved his chair next to me, putting his arm over the back of my seat.

Another date? Another date I had unexpectedly walked into... or carried into, remembering the way Dominic had swept me out from the store earlier that afternoon.

I looked at him, his sharp jaw, the way his cheeks slightly dipped in, making his cheekbones more prominent.

He had a strong face, one that looked young and handsome. One that looked masculine and intense. I looked away and blushed, embarrassed with how long I had been admiring him.

He looked at me, his lips curving in an amused smile. "What are you so embarrassed about?"

My face boiled, and he looked, watching with an amused expression as the color across my face deepened.

I was thankful then when the waiter returned with our waters and proceeded to ask for our meal.

"Violet," Dominic laid his other arm on the table, his fingers rubbing the end of my shirt sleeve. "What do you like? I don't feel like I know you."

I looked at my hands and thought.
"I like planting," I looked up at him, thinking about those few times Ethel and the other girls would transplant, sometimes falling asleep underneath the warm sun. I always enjoyed those few moments.

"Goes along with your love for flowers," he nodded. "Something else, something I don't know."

"Cleaning," I replied quickly.

He smiled, "Cleaning? Maybe I should hire you to clean my apartment, be my personal maid."

"... If you wanted me to. I wouldn't mind -"

"No, no," he stopped me and laughed, "I wouldn't ever make you do that, Violet. If you absolutely wanted to, then go ahead, but I'm not making you do anything like that."

"Oh." I giggled nervously, looking down at my hands again.

He leaned his head lower, studying me. "You look tired," he said softly, his hand going to rest on my arm.

I looked at him, meeting those galaxy blue eyes. I was tired. I'd been up and moving all day. My shift started at eight that morning and ended at three, then Dominic had come in, and we had been walking ever since.

I nodded and smiled softly.

"I don't think I've ever told you how much I love your smile," he said, leaning his jaw on his knuckles. "And your laugh," he smiled, "it's cute."

He took a strand of my hair, wrapping it around his large hand, "you should laugh more."

After the meal, we proceeded to walk across to the small park across the street, where eventually, we found a bench and sat down.

I watched as the sun set in reds and blues, the clouds turning pink.
Softly, I smiled, thankful for the day with all its loveliness. Thankful I had the privilege to spend it with Dominic.

Maybe I did trust him. I wasn't afraid when I was around him. I felt comfortable and at ease.

I looked at him, admiring him, and slowly, I fell asleep.