Chapter Fifty-One

Macy's boyfriend, Mark, parked the car beside another girl and two men. Katie introduced them to me. The shorter one was dating the girl. The taller one, about Katie's height was his brother, Nick, one of Dominic's friends.

"Hi," Nick stuck his hand out and smiled. I took it hesitantly.

Katie watched Nick with admiration, looking at him in ways that showed her attraction towards him. "Isn't he charming?" Katie whispered as we walked into the club.

I nodded, barely comprehending what she had said as I pulled my coat closer to my chest.

The room was dark with blue and purple flashing lights that bothered my eyes, and a stage at the front with a band playing and a few dancing girls. I adverted my eyes, wanting to disappear, wanting to leave.

"I'll take your coat," a man grabbed the collar. I jerked away, hurrying after Katie as she started towards the center. She grabbed my hands, trying to get me to dance. I pulled away, bumping into people around me. I needed to leave. My heart started racing and I felt panicked.

"Watch it!"

I stumbled towards the edges, seeing large seating areas.

"Hey, wanna dance?"

"Hold on, where ya' going?"

I couldn't breathe. My back hit something hard. I turned and saw the long wooden slab of the bar. I grabbed the edge, trying to steady myself. I watched as drinks were poured, looking at the different men with their black shirts and sleeves rolled up to the elbows, and the girls who flirted with the bartenders.

I saw a man, very tall compared to the others, the shirt seeming to caress every one of his muscles. I watched as he came closer, not realizing it was Dominic until he spoke.

"Violet? What are you doing here!?" He leaned down on the counter, grabbing my arm tightly. I winced in pain, and he released his grip slightly. He pulled me around behind the counter. "Why are you here?" He demanded.

I swallowed, trying to breathe, and pointed to Katie and the others. He straightened; a muscle ticked in his jaw when he saw his sister. He grabbed one of the bar stools and brought it around. "Sit," he ordered. "Watch her," he called to one of the other bartenders. He glanced at me and nodded.

My heart raced as I watched Dominic go after his sister, grabbing her arm to face him. Her eyes went wide. Nick interfered, Dominic ran a hand through his hair and came back, making me jump as he violently opened the little door at the end of the bar.

He stood there next to me, fuming in anger, and then leaned down. "Why didn't you stay home?"

I fumbled for an answer as he stared at me, his blue eyes so intent on mine. I struggled to breathe, my heart racing faster with every minute.

Suddenly, his gaze softened, and he wrapped me up in his arms. He was warm and smelled of beer, with the slight undertone of cologne that was wearing off after a long day. "She is in so much trouble, I swear," he said, laughing half-heartedly. He pulled away, resting a hand on the back of the chair.

"She's not leaving anytime soon," he said, glancing at Katie. "So," he leaned down again, "I'm either taking you home and getting fired or you're staying right here all night. Personally, my first option doesn't sound so appealing."

I glanced up at him, feeling small and inferior. "I'm sorry."

"What? No, Love, this wasn't you. Don't apologize." He looked at me and smiled slightly. "Are you cold? Why do you have a coat on?" He gave an amused laugh.

My face warmed, "My- Katie's dress."

"What about her dress?" He raised an eyebrow, a mischievous grin on his face. I looked down sheepishly. He raised a finger and then left, serving a few drinks and then came back.

"Which dress?" He asked, crouching down, his elbows resting on his knees.

"Um," I looked down, "the green one."

"Mmm, I bet you look good in that one," he grinned. My face boiled at his comment. He moved closer, "I want to see you later."

My heart stirred, feeling nervous by the comment. I swallowed and watched as he stood slowly and left to make a few drinks.