Obsession

Certain things occurred that first night when Layla came to the imperial palace of Ardos- firstly her chambers were tightly secured so much so that even the nobles that wished to make her acquaintance were refused any such requests by the emperor himself.

Secondly her chambers were filled with most extravagant luxuries from all around the empire yet the most important of all these developments was that the marriage was postponed to a week later on the day of full moon on the founding day of Ardos.

"Your majesty crown princess, the high priest of the temple wishes to meet you, his majesty the emperor would also be there." The female about whose disastrous beauty the entire empire was suddenly talking about nodded without any knowledge of such rumors and was led to the emperor's chambers where an old man along with his student was sitting infront of Icarus.

Adorned with pure violet robes he smiled kindly at Layla when she entered the room to which she returned the gesture.

"Please sit" She sat down beside man whose hair was tousled as if he was troubled endlessly.

"May the goddess' blessings may be with you, I was called by the Emperor since he seemed to worry about your imperial highness's health as you came after such a long journey. May your highness show me your wrist so that I may check if you are well or need any of the temple's medicine.

Layla looked at Icarus and only when he nodded did she extended her fragile wrist. There was a cool touch that was there for only several moments before the old male frowned.

"It seems that your highness is really tired and needs a long rest for her body is not too well. The temple will dispatch certain herbs for your majesty today." After that Layla was led out by the maids that acted as her personal attendants for the time being and the door was closed softly, only then did an apprentice to the old man uttered those blasphemous words.

"Your majesty the princess's womb is really not well she would not be able to conceive at all." Faster than lightning those sculpted arms wrapped around the neck of the person who spoke such sacrilege. The young apprentice could not breathe at all and his face turned blue with the lack of air.

"Your majesty!"

"Your majesty if you leave him, I promise to cure your empress!" The monster of the shadows smiled before his head turned to the old man making him freeze on spot with trepidation.

"Make it happen or there would not be a high priest anymore." the low voice whispered hypnotically making the people in the place fear for their lives.

_________________________________________________________________

Marianna had said that there were seventeen fiancées that Icarus had and in reality there was no trace of any information as such in the imperial palace, despite talking to so many of the maids all of them were either misinformed or refused to acknowledge the truth.

Layla contemplated of what happened to those women while she was returning from the late meeting in the middle of the night when she saw the locked exuberant palace that Icarus had told her specifically not to enter, unlike other palaces it was illuminated with soft light of candles and was not glowing like any other wing but was immersed in darkness.

"I would like to watch the stars till his highness emperor comes, you all are dismissed." The maids were not fools and understood that regarding the position of the empress Layla was the strongest contender and was not someone they could offend thus despite the doubts blossoming in their hearts they bowed and left.

Only then the pitter patter of feet that should not have been so daring so as to breach certain boundaries moved ahead towards the palace of unknown mysteries. Layla knew that if caught she could be severely punished but at this particular juncture she did not care and walked ahead.

It resembled more or less like a place that did not had any master but also one that was kept with utmost care and affection, the walls were adorned with gold plated leaves and as Layla ventured deeper she saw glimmering light emerging from the inner depths, at the end of the hallway there was a huge chamber lit with a thousand fragrant candles that produced an aroma resembling that of an amorous devil's flower.

The chamber had nothing but a desk at one side of the room that had so many papers bound together, some scattered on the ground and old books that were written in some crude ancient language that Layla could not decipher.

The magnificent hall would have been empty if it wasn't for the paintings that were covered with red velvet. They were placed at a height above Layla's head and were at a height that was so magnanimous that it touched the ceilings of the hall with silver chandeliers.

Who was it?

Even before she could stop herself from overstepping the bounds, her trembling fingers with the heart that thrummed erratically encouraged her to reach out and slip the velvet fabric with some force as if a truth awaited her.

Vermilion red fluttered with a sound so serene like a peaceful windy breeze as the cloth dwindled down the frame and dark violet irises stared back at her from the painting making Layla widen her eyes before she lost her balance and collided with the desk producing an eerie sound of wood scratching the floor.

Golden locks dazzling like shining sun rays dwindled down the chest of the woman in the paint making her seem so innocently exquisite that she could make any man insane in her love. The clothes she wore were seemingly pure white and of such a beautiful composition that she resembled a moon flower.

Panic struck Layla as she ran from one painting to another unveiling them all and everytime blush rose orbs clashed with dark violets.

It was Layla in those frame.....all her.

Her face

Her features

Her body

And yet despite how much the female exactly looked like her she was different

Her eyes were different

Her hair was different

But above all those pure smiles were all different from her

Because she was Layla and the woman in the painting that stared back at her was...

"Ilaria" Icarus whispered the name written on every painting making Layla freeze.