The ball

Everdales have invited empire's best archmages and nobility along with the imperial family of Avesta, even the foreign nobles were graciously called to celebrate a ball in the honor of their daughter- Empress Layla and Emperor Icarus.

At the surface no matter how much animosity Leon and Karl had against Icarus and dislike for Layla's choice yet for the people they were a picture of a completely harmonious family. The momentum of the extravagant ball had begun with the oncoming of the Layla whose cheeks were tinted pink thus matching her eyes.

"Can you please cover it up?"

"No honeybee, It already looks pretty." The palm encasing hers clutched Layla reassuringly as if encouraging her, but for what? For enduring embarrassment?

'LAYLA' freshly written with dark ink was partially visible when top buttons on the emperor's attire were unfastened, displaying a portion of his chest. Many noble ladies looked at him shyly, got a glimpse of his body, saw the name and heard little shattering sounds of their hearts.

Today many were going home with broken dreams.

Layla had to wear her entire hair down with big teardrop emerald earrings, her maids protested at first saying that they should style her magnificently yet when the female removed her hair they got red in face and stood silently while obeying their empress. A person covered all over in red love bites could not be questioned of why they intended to cover their body in such a significant ball.

"Don't smile, its your fault!"

"My fault indeed...but have you rested well today." The mischievous smile made the little fairy become so flustered that she did not looked at him anymore. The couple was bantering with one another and did not cared for others at all while Damien greeted the guests and his sons presented gentle smiles.

A temporary truce was formed between Duke Everdale and Icarus for Layla's health took the first priority this time.

It was a picturesque harmony and mirth, only when a sudden stranger entered the arena did those smiles faltered as if happiness was lost and resentment arose.

Damien gnashed his teeth when Jeremiah Valentine bowed infront of him and smiled like a dirty serpent slithering disgustingly. He reeked of alcohol and certain sort of insanity danced in his eyes for at that moment he knew he was invincible- on such an occasion where delegates from many kingdoms have come together could one Duke of Avesta fight and insult another.

He came uninvited yet not without the intention to lay low. He wanted to see how the woman who left him like he was an animal now look at him, now when he had the opportunity, when he could either bring her down or make her weep in agony one way or another.

Layla looked up from her position and glanced into the irises that seemed unfamilier, dirty and monstrous to look at, at that one moment Jeremiah had Layla to himself, even if she was beside Icarus her eyes were on him and after sometime his too.

That moment was what made him feel invincible for she saw him, he wanted to see her face pale in fear for he was her past, to feel sorrow for she was the one who left him in this state, if not this then show hatred because in hate they were connected eternally.

She should never escape his clutches.

In hate or love he would have all of her.

But Layla removed her eyes and rather turned to look at Icarus as if he was an apparition, a ghost, a specter or all in one who she looked past and did not show an ounce of emotion. He was at that moment non-existent to her, someone that had long ceased to exist in the world. She did not know him, she refused to recognize him.

"Icarus, his fear sent me to you and for that I am thankful to him." Layla not remembering her previous life did not know what Jeremiah did to her and thus he was just a speck of dust for her, unworthy to give a second glance.

It hurt him, his pride as the youngest duke of Avesta, of Valentine duchy was crushed in those moments.

He was maddened with rage.

You made me like this so don't blame me.

The duke moved forward kneeling infront of the imperial majesty and gave a respectful smile.

"Your majesty, you have earlier honored me to ask of a reward for my service to protect Avesta, I, your humble servant will impertinently ask of it now...please allow me to take Princess Marianna Everdale as my legal wife."

Mutterings and whispers erupted in the arena and the Layla's fist tightened on its handrest. Duke Everdale was so raged that his knuckles turned white with fury while Icarus watched all of it with a smile spreading across his lips, it was just that it was really unfeeling and cold.

The emperor looking at the foreign noble smiling for they were completely unaware of the internal clash was so furious that he could not speak for sometime, only when he was about to speak did a voice called from behind.

"I am to marry whom?"

Jeremiah Valentine was kneeling infront of their King yet Marianna choose to stand with her head proud and impudent as if there was nothing in the world she feared, yet even in that arrogance was a respect towards the King who nodded for her to speak her mind.

"Princess, its something that the King honored me with so I asked-" Jeremiah had always remembered Marianna as someone who stayed in the background and mingled less, she spoke less when they were together too thus he had assumed her to be passive, this turn of events made him look at glaring deep azures and chills ran down his spine.

"I love General Helios and I will only marry him."

"