Chapter 1. Bitter Rivals

Things were going swimmingly at the Hexside School of Magic and Demonics. It was another calm day where the students were going about their business, trying to either learn magic or feed their dreams of popularity. At first, everything seemed normal, but unbeknownst to the students, it was a day that showed the first sign of change.

The students of the Abomination track were ready to show their projects to the teacher: their abomination golems formed in cauldrons.

Professor Hermonculus was checking the project of a female student. However, her abomination had plenty of feet sticking from various places, with the toes wiggling around.

"Hmm. Too many toenails in unexpected places. Fail. Pathetic!" the professor declared, making the abomination deflate, and the student looked to the floor in shame. She wheeled her abomination off the platform at the front of the room as the professor turned to the other students.

"The biggest abominations are all of you!" he shouted. "If the next abomination is a failure, everyone gets extra homework for a month!"

The other students grumbled, worried and unsatisfied.

"Extra homework? Not again!"

Just as everyone stopped murmuring, the professor cleared his throat.

"And the next one to come up is..."

He was interrupted when Amity Blight, Hexside's top student, raised her hand and stood up from her seat with a confident smile.

"Excuse me, sir, but I am ready to present my abomination. Rise!"

With a single command, the monster emerged from the cauldron, posing like a ballerina. The professor just chuckled.

"I've always saved the best for last, Amity. You'll have to wait your turn. There are two more students. How about... Mr. Sturm."

"That guy?" asked one of the students as everyone else turned to the student.

"Oh, boy..." another said breathlessly.

Everyone in the room turned their attention to Sturm, who sat right behind Willow. He was 15 years old, thus a few inches taller than Amity, and wore the Abomination track uniform like everyone else. However, he had a fingerless glove on his left hand. His skin, eyebrows, and eyelashes were bone white, but his eyes were red, giving him a very uncanny appearance. His ears were hidden by his shoulder-length white hair.

He seemed to have a near-permanent scowl, making almost every student look at him nervously. No one from Hexside knew much about him, making his presence even more unsettling.

Sturm closed his eyes and exhaled through his nose before grabbing the wheelbarrow with the cauldron to get to the platform in front of the class

With everyone watching him, Sturm casually lifted the cap and leaned it against the cauldron.