Chapter 3. Crack the Books

On another day on the Boiling Isles, Luz went to the library to return all of Eda's overdue books because the Owl Lady was too busy with a sanity-testing task from the famous Bat Queen.

Luz arrived at the library and returned the books but decided to stay and look around. During her time in the library, she found Amity reading to children. Seeing Amity being kind for a change, Luz took this opportunity to attempt to befriend her. However, after the kids left, Amity gave Luz the cold shoulder. Again. On her way out, Luz met Amity's older twin siblings, Emira and Edric, who invited her to have some 'fun' around the library by causing mischief, mostly involving pranks that led to the psychological torment of one of the librarians.

Inevitably, the kids were caught and shoved out of the library's door by the other (sane) librarians.

"You've made reading far too fun. Now, stay out!" the man said before slamming the door shut on the teens. The three of them looked at the door for a second before they started laughing.

"Amity's even madder at me now. I didn't think that was possible," Luz said. "I didn't think that was possible."

"No, when Mittens gets mad, she looks like this," Edric said before inhaling a sharp breath of air and puffing his cheeks, grunting as he made an angry face that turned red before exhaling and stumbling. "Whoa! I almost passed out."

"You're pretty fun, human," Emira smiled at Luz.

As the conversation continued, another person walked in. The teens heard their footsteps and saw Sturm walk up the steps, dressed in his school uniform. He had a raised brow and held a book called 'How to Indirectly Kill Your Rivals.'

"Did you guys get kicked out of the library again?" Sturm asked. "I'm only surprised you get to keep coming back."

"Oh, hey, Sparkles!" Emira waved at him.

"How ya doin', man?" Edric asked.

"I'm tired," the white-haired kid bluntly said as he walked up the stairs and reached the top before looking at Emira. "And you know I don't like being called 'Sparkles,' what are you doing, girl?"

"Hey, I know you. You're from Hexside," Luz said before turning to the twins. "And you guys know him?"

"Yeah. This is Sturm. He just showed up one day and started working for our parents," Emira responded.

"He and Amity have hated each other's guts ever since they met," Edric added.

"That doesn't even begin to cover it, lime hair," Sturm said, causing Edric to touch his own hair, feeling a little insecure. However, a smile formed on Sturm's face as the red-eyed teen zoomed behind the twins and put his hands on their shoulders. "Say, guys... How about we come back tonight? Maybe there's a certain book you forgot to... check out?"

The twins nodded.

"Ah, I see what you mean," Emira smirked.

"We're gonna laugh for weeks," Edric giggled. Luz, on the other hand, was confused.

"What are you saying?"

"Rumor has it the Wailing Star's supposed to unlock some rare magical event," Sturm responded. "And it will affect the library with some results we can take advantage of."

"What do you say? You in, friend?" Edric asked.

Sturm didn't notice until the last second, but the look on Luz's face suggested a sense of fulfillment. Even though he knew almost nothing about her, he guessed she hadn't made many friends.

"Sure," she smiled.

"Great! Meet back here at midnight. See you, Luz," Edric said as he and his sister turned and walked away.