Chapter 4. The Slitherbeast

The placement exams at Hexside were approaching fast. Luz learned that she had to know at least two spells to be in the same class as Amity, and she panicked. Luz only knew the light spell and couldn't cast it naturally.

If Luz didn't master a new spell soon, she would be put in the baby class.

The girl begged Eda to teach her a new spell. At first, Eda refused, but after being told Luz would be put into the baby classes if she failed, Eda agreed, but only because her pride was at stake.

And so, Eda took Luz to the Witch Arena, located on the Knee of the Boiling Isles, where the earliest witches developed their magic millennia ago. They arrived at a ruined castle, meeting up with Amity, who also happened to be there practicing with her siblings using her training wand and Magic 101 Manual.

But to Luz's frustration, Eda's 'lessons' consisted of tasting snow and smelling moss, making her believe that Eda was not taking any of this seriously. However, Eda was adamant about trusting her teachings. She wanted Luz to connect with the nature of magic, to learn from the island. And so, she had Luz sit in front of a view of the Boiling Isles.

Eda left, and Luz took a deep breath.

"Alright, Luz. Look. Look with everything you've got. Focus," she said to herself before raising her right hand and speaking through it.

"Focus? On what? On you'll be stuck in the baby class?"

"No! Don't think like that!" Luz said before her left hand entered the chat.

"Face it, you'll never get a second spell following Eda's lessons."

"Silence, hands!" Luz demanded.

Just then, a booming sound got her attention. She looked behind and saw a line of trees obscuring what was happening on the other side. She waited for a moment and saw lightning cracking between the branches.

"Eh? What's happening?"

Luz got up and went over there. She stepped through the trees and saw an isolated section of the ruins, but it had less to offer than the rest of the area. It only consisted of a few pillars and some used paths.

To her surprise and amazement, she saw Sturm running through a makeshift course. She recognized him because of his white hair and dark clothes. He raced through the tracks at blinding speed and even leaped off the pillars, spinning in the air and doing masterful flips. Luz compared his moves to that of a parkour professional, but he was much faster than any human she'd ever seen.

"Woah! COOL!" Luz beamed.

Sturm then jumped one more time and landed at the center. He clenched his fists and built up electricity within his forearms. He then extended his fist at a stone wall and released his energy, creating a lightning bolt that shattered the wall into countless steaming pieces.

Then he turned ninety degrees to the right and shot another lightning bolt at a pillar, shattering its top half. He turned the third time and fired at a tree near Luz.

The girl screamed in panic and jumped out of the way as the tree was destroyed near her. Sturm heard the scream and zoomed over Luz's location to see what was happening. When he got to the spot, he was surprised and mildly annoyed to see Luz again.

The girl got a better look at him now. He wore the same outfit except for a gray sweater under a navy blue jacket with a fur hood.

 He wore the same outfit except for a gray sweater under a navy blue jacket with a fur hood