Chapter 11. The Galdorstones

Sturm had reached a low point. He was already miserable when he lost the map, but now he was in a worse state than ever. The uncertainty of his future, combined with the humiliation at the hands of Amity during the private sale at Blight Industries had taken its toll.

During his day off, Sturm aimlessly walked through the streets of Bonesborough to reflect. Was he losing his touch? Did he overstay his welcome at the top? Was this someone's way of telling him he was unworthy of being number one? Was being the best too much to ask?

Sturm didn't know where to begin, and his mind was jumbled the entire time he wandered the streets. He looked ahead and saw that he was heading for a pedestrian bridge, and to the left were two familiar faces: Luz and Gus.

Sturm was far from happy to see Luz again. The last time the two met, he used her as a test dummy for the Abomaton Soldier and almost killed her with it. He'd heard rumors that she and her friends were finally allowed back into Hexside. Part of him still felt ashamed, but he could not forget about her involvement in his disgrace. Upon looking closer, Gus was all glum, almost more than Sturm. The pale-skinned teen didn't want to interact with them or notice them, as they were having a conversation he couldn't hear.

Before he could walk closer, he heard a loud roar that almost shook the earth. He and everyone on the bridge turned their heads and saw that it came from the street below.

It was a Slitherbeast, and Animal Control had failed to subdue it. The monster broke free from its bonds, attacked the demon that stood in its way, and started charging down the street in a frenzy.

Up ahead was a red demon child crossing the street and joyfully holding a balloon, blissfully unaware of the incoming danger until the last second. When the Slitherbeast was quickly gaining on the child, someone finally decided to intervene and jump between the monster and the child.

The ones who stood in the Sliterbeast's way were two boys wearing school uniforms, but they obviously didn't belong to Hexside.

One of the boys was a dark-skinned witch with short, spiky dark hair, light purple-pink eyes, and a chin that tapered to the point. He seemed to wear the abomination track uniform of his school, which consisted of a short-sleeved gray-brown shirt, a magenta scarf that was torn in some places, magenta leggings, and yellow and white sneakers.

The other student was a short demon with yellow skin, brown claws on his hands, a pink nose, small fangs, and eyes with blue sclera. His left eye was covered by a tuft of blonde hair. He also had a tail with a barb-like tip that ended in the same brown as his claws. His uniform consisted of a gray tunic with dark gray trims, matching boots, and green sleeves and leggings. He also wore a gray cap with green cylinder-sided ear covers.

The dark-skinned witch conjured up a slick of abomination goo that caused the Slitherbeast to slip, and then the demon boy created a net of vines that launched the rampaging animal backward into the air. After the Slitherbeast landed with a loud thud, a girl leaped over it, twirling in the air before landing on one knee and using construction magic to trap the Slitherbeast in stone.

The girl got up to reveal herself, and she was a slightly shorter witch with a well-built frame, pale skin, and short indigo hair, with amber-colored eyes and three freckles on each cheek. Her uniform consisted of a gray short-sleeved tunic with dark gray trims, brown gloves, and brown tattered shorts. She also had dark gray-heeled boots and carried a broadsword in a brown sheath that hung from her right hip.

The girl briefly brushed her fingers through her hair before smiling and giving the two boys a raised thumb.

"Good work, guys!"

The two boys cheered as everyone who witnessed the incident praised the three heroes.

Well, almost everyone.