Lesson Twenty-Two: Everything Comes From Allah, Everything

Amarah

I got accepted?

"Aimen, what's this letter about?" I asked, giving her a letter to one of the colleges I applied to. She stared at it for two seconds then turned to me.

"Congratulations!" She said, jumping up and down and hugging me. Classes were done and we were at our lockers. I got the letter in the morning but I only opened it now.

"You're lying." I said. She frowned.

"And guess what?" She asked. "Your college is like 10 minutes away from the University I'm planning to go to." She said, watching my face. My face lit up.

"I'm not alone!" I squealed. "Actually I'm never alone because Allah is always with me!" I frowned at Aimen. "You are gonna come visit me, right?" I asked her.

"Are you stupid?" She asked me in a dull voice. "We're going to meet up whenever we can." She assured me. I smiled. "But your choice of career... it's so unexpected." She said, frowning. "I'd always imagine you leading a team, not being lead."

"Well, I'm not smart enough to be a doctor, engineer, or a lawyer. So I just chose it out of the blue. Plus I think I'll end up liking it. I'll get to visit people in the hospital all the time. Imagine how many rewards I would get!" I said, grinning. She laughed.

"Actually, I changed my mind. Nursing is probably the best career for someone as bright as you." She said, smiling as she put her bag over her shoulder.

A Week Later

"Why isn't Sister Jasmin back yet?" Farah asked. I gave her a nervous laugh.

"Well, the thing is Farah, we might have to start our lessons without her." I said, sadly. The girl we've been teaching for months got so used to both of us that even if one of us were absent, she'd keep asking where you went. Whenever I couldn't make it, Jasmin would have to deal with it. But whenever Jasmin couldn't make it, I would have to deal with it. But it's not like it was a bother to any of us. We were extremely happy to teach Farah everything we could, because we ourselves were learning more and more by the day.

"Assalamu Alaikum." I heard a voice from behind me. I turned around to find a sister standing behind me.

"Wa Alaikumasalaam warahmatullahi wabarakaatuhu." I said, smiling.

"You're the sister that teaches children, right?" She asked. Hunh?

"I think you've got it all wrong. I only teach Farah with my friend Jasmin." I replied. "We don't teach any other children." I replied.

"No, someone told me to come to you. They said your name was Amarah." The sister said, calmly. "I want my child to learn about Islam but it's really hard to sit her down and to teach her about the deen. So I was looking for a teacher. Would you mind teaching my child as well? I really don't want her to fall behind." She said, in a worried voice.

"Uh... Sure. It would be our pleasure." I said, surprised but also a little excited because now Farah would have a friend. "We could start teaching her as soon as you want, In Shaa Allah." I said, with a friendly smile.

I don't even know how we were teaching Farah. Whether it was right or wrong, Jasmin and I didn't know how our teaching method was exactly kid friendly. To me it was a little easier. Aimen told me it was because I myself was exactly like a child, and maybe she was right.

I had butterflies in my stomach at the moment of just thinking about having another student to teach. Maybe Binyamin was right. There was just something about teaching that feels so much better than any occupation.