Chapter Ten: Who Needs Love?

After the final bell rang, Shane and Jake both walked to Shane's locker together. All day Jake was ignoring text messages from Seth which is what Shane brought up on their walk.

"I have every right to ignore him, Shane," Jake said.

Once they got to Shane's locker, Jake leaned his back against the wall while Shane put his locker combination in.

"I know that," Shane spoke, opening his locker. "But it doesn't hurt to hear him out."

"All he's going to do is lie to me," Jake stated.

Shane shook his head. "Always looking at the negatives," he spoke in a whisper. He turned to look at Jake and spoke louder this time. "When was the last time Seth lied to you?"

Silence.

"Exactly," Shane spoke with a grin.

The two chuckled. "Hurry up and get your history book so we can study," Jake spoke.

"Okay."

Once Shane pulled his history textbook out of his locker, a folded piece of paper fell on the ground by Jake's feet.

"What's this," Jake spoke, crouching down to pick up the paper.

He picked it up and unfolded it and while he was skimming through it his eyebrows furrowed as he slowly looked up at Shane.

"Jake," Shane started.

"Did you get in? Yes or no?"

"Yes but-"

"And when were you going to tell me?"

Shane stumbled over his words, trying to find something to say- but he couldn't.

"I don't get it Shane," Jake snapped. "We used to be close. We used to be like brothers. And now." He paused and shrugged his shoulders. "Now it's like we're strangers."

Shane opened his mouth to speak but still couldn't find anything to say so he closed his mouth. Jake rolled his eyes while shoving the paper at Shane's chest then stormed past Shane without saying anything else.

Seth and Stephanie were hanging out at the park after school was out. It was empty and quiet besides the swing that was squeaking.

"Seth," Stephanie started, looking at the side of his face.

"Why are you really here, Stephanie," Seth spoke, quickly turning his head to face her.

Stephanie sighed. "My parents got a divorce a couple of months back."

Silence built up between them again then Seth exhaled, opening his mouth to apologize but Stephanie spoke again.

"I had the choice to live with my mom or dad," she informed him. "And I chose to live with my dad. That's why I'm here."

"Because of your dad?" Seth asked and Stephanie nodded.

"Or," Seth added. "Because you wanted to make things right with me?"

"What are you talking about!?" Stephanie snapped.

"Stephanie I'm not stupid. I know Carlos told you that I moved to California."

"Seth-"

"You are closer to your mom than you are to your dad," he stated, cutting her off. "Please correct me if I'm wrong?"

"You're being ridiculous."

"No, I'm not," Seth spoke. "I just want to know the truth."

"And that is the truth."