Chapter Twelve: No Time for Apologies

Jake stared at the message from Seth for a good minute. He started typing: I just opened the letter and it was a yes, but then he found himself deleting the text. He turned off his phone and then placed it on the counter. He wanted to be happy for Seth but the thought of everything they'd been through started to run through his head. He just wanted it all to stop. That's when he heard footsteps approaching down the hall behind him and soon enough Tanner stepped in front of him.

"Why the long face baby bro?" he asked, hopping up to sit on the counter. "I heard you got accepted into Fresno State."

"Yeah I did," Jake said, leaning against the counter.

"I get that it's not UCLA but the bulldogs are good too," Tanner went on. "And hey who knows maybe when you start with the team they'll be even better."

"Maybe," Jake said, dryly.

"So what's got you down?" Tanner asked again.

"Seth got into Fresno State as well," Jake finally said.

"That's a bad thing?" Tanner asked with a questioning brow. "Now you guys can do whatever you want whenever you want without wondering how long-"

"Seth and I broke up, Tanner."

"Broke up?" Tanner exclaimed. "What do you mean broke up?"

"As in not together. Not a couple."

"Yeah I got that part smart ass," Tanner said with an eye roll. "I mean why did you two break up?"

Jake shrugged his shoulders. "Just didn't trust him as much as I thought I would."

"Jake..."

"What?" he snapped. "I don't get why you're trying to pretend like you care."

"I do care, Jake. You're my brother."

"You're the one that told me not to get with him in the first place! And now that we broke up you want me to do otherwise."

"Yeah because you proved me wrong, Jake!" Tanner snapped then hopped off the counter. "You were right. The whole time. Everything you said about Seth was true and that I didn't know him." Tanner shrugged then he decided to lower his tone once he saw the tears in Jake's eyes.

"You two deserve each other. Anyone could see that. Just don't be a dumbass and let him go."

"It's too late for that," Jake said.

He grabbed his phone and then made his way upstairs, closing his bedroom door behind him.

Meanwhile, Nikki and Stephanie were both hanging out at Nikki's house in her bedroom. They both sat on the bed; Stephanie sat with her legs crossed and Nikki sat with one leg dangling off the side of the bed.

"So why'd you invite me over?" Stephanie asked, breaking the silence.

"I needed to talk to you about something," Nikki started.

"Okay..." Stephanie trailed with suspicion. "What is it?"

"I've been hooking up with Gigi for a while."

"Oh?"

"But it was before you and me-"

"Nikki, wait," Stephanie said, cutting her off. "I have to tell you something too."

"We're keeping secrets now," Nikki asked with a chuckle but Stephanie didn't find it funny.

"I kissed Seth," Stephanie finally said.

"Seth?" Nikki asked with a raised eyebrow and Stephanie nodded. "When?"

"Kylie's birthday," Stephanie replied.