Chapter Fourteen: Can it be Love Again?

It was the afternoon before the group's senior prom and Shane was spending time playing video games with his older brother, Jared. He had come back home from college to spend time with the family. Shane was currently beating Jared in Madden but once their game was over Jared let out a groan while Shane let out a hoot.

"What is that? Three and oh?" Shane questioned with a smirk and received a shove from his brother.

"You got the advantage only because you play the sport," Jared said, defending his case.

"Yeah yeah," Shane said, reaching on the side of his bed to grab his water bottle. "Excuse. Excuses." The two of them shared a laugh before Shane's phone buzzed and Kylie's name popped up on the screen.

Kylie: Are you still going to Gigi's prom?

And then there was another message.

Kylie: It won't be the same without you.

Shane stared at the messages on his phone until the screen went black, leaving him staring at his reflection. He cleared his throat and then faced his TV which was on the lobby screen of their game.

"So you want to play another round?" Shane asked, facing Jared.

"Maybe after you tell me what's going on with you and Kylie?" Jared responded. "And don't say nothing either."

Shane shrugged his shoulders, then looked away to focus on the game while he scrolled through the roster of teams. "It's none of your business and I don't know what you're talking about," Shane said dryly.

"I'm talking about the obvious fact you changed her name and two your face did not light up when she texted you," Jared stated matter of factly.

"That means nothing," Shane said.

"You two broke up didn't you?"

"So what if we did-"

"Why?"

"Jare," Shane sighed, looking at his older brother with tired eyes. "I really don't want to talk about this."

"Just answer the question. "Why'd you two break up?"

"People grow apart," Shane responded.

"But not you and Kylie."

"I just... I don't know what you want me to say. Okay? Yeah, we broke up and yeah, we grew apart. Stop trying to play matchmaker, Jared."

"You and I both know you're still in love with her. You and I both know you can't live without her. She's not gone yet, Shane. Don't let her slip away." Jared shrugged his shoulders. "That's all I'm going to say."

The brothers locked eyes while Shane let those words sink in. He knew his brother was right but he didn't know how much time he had left to make things right. So after hesitating he grabbed his phone and texted Kylie back.

Shane: I'll be there waiting for you.

♡♡♡

Meanwhile, Nikki and Stephanie were both hanging out in Nikki's bedroom. Kylie, Faith, and Gigi had made plans to hang out with them but the two of them kindly rejected the invitation. Stephanie was lying on her side on Nikki's bed, watching the dark-headed female scroll through her phone at her desk.

"What are you doing?" Stephanie asked, breaking the silence.

"Nothing," Nikki responded, turning off her phone to look at Stephanie.

"Are you ready for Gigi's senior prom?" Stephanie asked with a grin.

"Yeah," Nikki said. "Are you?"

"I'm excited," Stephanie exclaimed, sitting up on the bed. "I was listening to Faith and Gigi talking about it all day during lunch and now I can't wait."