The Day (Part II)

The limo Maya and I had paid for honked from outside of the house. I grabbed my clutch and went outside. Mason wasn't here because the plan was for the fairytale ball, every girl had to show up in masks and the guys would be waiting at the hall already. I thought it was a pretty lame idea but I couldn't tell the committee, because the head of committee knew where I slept, seeing as it was 2 doors down from hers. I slipped my mask on and adjusted it before I was comfortable with having it on my face.

My mother smiled, despite her tears and hugged me tightly. I looked over at Maya who hugged both her mom, who showed up not to long ago, and dad and suddenly envied her. I frowned. My dad and I never really talked about this day, but I knew for sure he would have cried today. And I say that without meaning to sound conceited, but my dad cried every time I got all dressed up because he feared that his little girl was growing up. But now I really am growing up, and he's not here to cry this time.

I checked my clutch for my phone and everything else necessary, including flats, because there was no way I was staying in heels the whole night. Once I checked several times, I figured it was okay to go out to the limo. I walked outside, careful to go slow on the stairs because I know myself and with my luck, I would have tripped and fell and probably ripped my dress on the way down. I lifted my dress giving myself better access to the stairs and walked towards the limo.

Before I got inside, Maya's dad came running outside and pulled me in a hug. "You were always like a daughter to me. I hope you know that sweetheart." He pulled me closer and I resisted the urge to cry. Maya would kill me if I cried. She spent an hour doing my makeup. But the longer her dad hugged me, the closer I was to crying. Images of my dad flashed in my head and I knew that if her dad didn't let me go, I'd be in tears. Maya came out and her dad finally let me go. He smiled slightly and Maya and I got into the limo. Everyone waved and then the limo pulled off and headed to the hall.

The limo stopped in front of the hall and there were a bunch of people lingering outside with mask covering their eyes. Maya handed me my mask and smiled before we stepped out of the limo. The people standing around looked at us for a second before directing their attention elsewhere. Maya sighed from the lack of recognition and walked into the hall. I waited outside for a few minutes, hoping to see Mason. But when I received no luck, I retreated into the hall. Maya was handing the lady our tickets and she stamped our hands before allowing us into the hall. Amazing was an understatement when it come to describing this hall. There was an overall, ball feeling and stepping into this hall, I actually felt like a princess.

Maya headed over to the drink table and got us both some punch. She said she wanted to get some before the jocks spiked it, Typical high-schoolers... I picked out a table for us to sit at and Maya came back with the drinks for us to drink. We looked around and Maya's date nor mine were to be found. "You'd think. with this whole mask thing, those two idiots would've gotten a sign or something." She took a sip of her drink. "Lets dance." She grabbed my hand and pulled me out of my chair and on to the dance floor where everyone was close together and dancing.

We danced for awhile before it got too hot and I went outside for some fresh air. When I got outside there were a few people lingering outside. I sat down on the bench they had outside and sighed. I still haven't seen Mason and its almost been an hour into the dance. I heard footsteps coming towards me and I looked up. Mason stood in front of me his mask secured tightly on his face. I smiled and stood up and he held out his arms. I gave him a hug and then dragged him into the hall. "What took you so long?" He shrugged and pointed to his hair.

"Perfection takes time." I smiled and nodded. I looped my hand into his and we walked back to the table Maya had chosen for us. There she sat with her date, Jake, who had on a mask identical to Mason's. We both sat down and talked to them before Maya wanted to dance again. Mason and Jake remained at the table while Maya dragged me back onto the floor to dance.