16

Brian Hazelwood

Brian Hazelwood

Before Armando, my boyfriend, can officially take me on a date, my parents had to meet him. Which seems like a fair decision. I've already met his family. It's only fair for him to meet mine. Still, I can only anticipate what my dad will say to my boyfriend.

"Relax, bumblebee." My mom said. "We just want to meet him and see what kind of kid he is and if he's a good match for our son."

"So why is dad loading his gun?" I asked. Both mom and I turned to my dad, who sat on his recliner and was adding bullets into his handgun.

"It's just a precaution." Dad said.

There was a knock on the door, followed by the chime of the doorbell. I quickly perked up and sat straight on the couch. Mom skipped over and greeted someone. She then told them to come in. I looked up and saw Armando walking in.

He held a bouquet of orchids, my mom's favorite flowers, and handed them to her. She gladly accepted them and walked off to put them in a vase. Meanwhile, he stood at the entrance of our living room and just awed at our large house.

My dad cleared his throat, which caught his attention. Armando quickly looked over at us and put on a handsome smile. Dad got up and walked over to greet him.

"So you're Armando." My dad said.

"I am." Armando replied.

"I've heard some things about you."

"I hope they're good things." My boyfriend replied.

"We'll see." My dad replied. He stepped aside and signaled for him to sit on the couch that I was on. Armando sat next to me, with a few inches between us. My dad returned his seat and grabbed his gun.

My dad, being who he is, decided to squeeze himself between Armando and I. Armando had to scoot over to the other end of the couch. My dad then placed the gun on his lap, with the exit facing Armando.

"So, Armando, tell me about yourself." My dad said. My mom walked back into the room and sat on a nearby chair.

"Uh, my name is Armando Dominguez. I was born on February 28. I like to..." He stopped himself and took a quiet moment. "I like to spend time with the people I like. Primarily my brother and sister, and Brian, of course. I also like learning things. But only if it's taught by someone who understands me."

"And I would assume that's Brian." My dad said.

"Yes! He's the one that's been able to catch me up. Thanks to him, I'm on track to graduate."

"That's so sweet!" Mom said.

"I understand that you are involved in some..." My dad said.

"I know!" Armando quickly said. "But I'm working on fixing that. I want to be able to provide a safe space for Brian."