22

Brian Hazelwood

Brian Hazelwood

My friends were following behind me as I walked towards the ASB office with my wallet in hand. They all pleaded with me to hear them out but I just ignored them. 

“Come on, Brian! Just hear us out!” Veronica said. 

“I’m busy.” I replied, not bothering to turn around and see them.

“We just pressed him a bit. It’s not like we insulted him!” I heard Wren said. Once I reached the office window, I asked for two prom and GradNite tickets. Using my dad’s card, I paid for it and was given the tickets and receipt.

“Actually, you guys did insult him!” I loudly told them as I turned around and faced them all. Everyone jolted back, taking a step back from me while I held my ground.

“We didn’t mean to…” Paco muttered, being the more caring one out of the three. 

“Well, you guys did. You guys don’t know jack about what Armando has done to change! He’s actually become a better person, and I love him! So don’t tell me that you guys were worried about me. Because you all haven’t gotten to know him!” I angrily said. 

“Brian…” Veronica said, trying to get my attention.

“I have to go.” I said. I turned around and walked away from them until I reached the parking lot. Luckily, my mom was waiting for me to take me. 

“Everything okay, Brian?” Mom asked as soon as I got in and she started the car. 

“I’m fine.” I replied, not looking at her.

“Is it Armando?” She asked.

“No, it’s my friends.” I told her. 

“Want to tell me about it?”

I let out a huge sigh and slammed the back of my head on the headrest. “My friends were judging Armando based on his past.”

“And you defended him but they also felt like they were in the right?” Mom asked, guessing the conversations that followed afterwards. 

“I just told them off.” I muttered. 

“I think it’s sweet of you to do that. That young man certainly has changed, and I can see that part of his change is for you.” Mom said. She stopped at a red light and reached over to touch my hair. “Any man who is willing to better himself for you rightfully deserves you.” 

“Is my mom actually saying that Armando is a good boyfriend?” I asked her. Mom just shook her head and let out a small chuckle. 

“Yes, Bumblebee. Armando is a good boyfriend for you. And I’m placing lots of trust in him to look after you in LA.” Mom started the car once the light turned green. 

“We’re both going to look after each other.” I replied. Mom finished the drive as she pulled up to the Dominguez residence. Armando was quick to walk outside and greet me on his driveway. After giving my mom a kiss, she drove off while I ran to my loving boyfriend and hugged him closely.