Chapter 017✧

Cale opened his eyes and turned his gaze towards his shoulder, where he saw Diana sleeping peacefully. A small smile played on his lips as he admired her serene expression. In her lap, Raon also lay comfortably, adding to the tranquil scene.

Cale couldn't resist the urge to reach out and gently intertwine his fingers with Diana's

Cale couldn't resist the urge to reach out and gently intertwine his fingers with Diana's. He continued to watch her, his heart filled with a mixture of affection and gratitude.

However, as he stared at Diana, a sudden wave of sadness washed over him, causing his expression to shift into a deep frown

The memories of that fateful day when he had watched her sacrifice herself for him came flooding back. The pain of that loss had never truly left him, and it weighed heavily on his heart. He felt an emptiness and grief that seemed to have no end.

Cale's mind drifted to the last words Diana had spoken to him, urging him to live and not blame himself. He had indeed continued to live, but the guilt of not being able to protect her still haunted him.

Suddenly, and seemingly out of nowhere, Kim Rok Soo, who had been reading a book titled "Birth of a Hero," was transferred into the story. His goal had been a simple, slacker's life, but everything changed when he saw Diana. She appeared before him with the same appearance and aura he remembered, as if she had never left. The sight of her brought a rush of emotions, and he realized how much he had missed her.

Now, his goal was still to lead a slacker's life, but with Diana by his side. He had also made a solemn promise to himself: he would protect her at all costs. Cale was aware of the impending war, and he was willing to sacrifice himself to keep Diana safe. Just the thought of losing her again was unbearable, and it threatened to drive him to madness. He couldn't fathom going through that pain a second time.

Cale's grip on Diana's hand tightened slightly as he thought about the depth of his emotions

As the carriage came to a stop at the Henituse residence, Cale gently woke up Diana, calling her affectionately.

"Love, we're here. Wake up," he said with a warm smile.

Diana slowly opened her eyes and stretched, taking in the surroundings. She smiled at Cale and remarked, "That was a good sleep."