43 - Dinner... Or Not

In stark contrast to the ardent hero fans, only disillusion grew in some classmates. With Mineta's complaints to Kaminari acting as white noise, Momo recounts her internship experience to Renka.

"Can you let go now?"

"No! My Momo gauge is still half-empty," Renka rubs her head against Momo's palm.

Momo pats her friend's back helplessly. It was a long week for them both. Momo interned under Snake Hero: Uwabami and the scope of work didn't fall under 'hero-like' in her books. She and Kendou Itsuka, her co-intern from class 1-B, followed Uwabami to one celebrity schedule after another and even joined in on a hair conditioner commercial... She hopes her classmates are too busy with studying for the finals to watch television.

Another sigh escapes her plump lips. She wanted to show something worth mentioning considering her status as a recommended student. Compared to Tokoroki's tactics and battle sense, she's still a ways off...

※※※

Momo's experience reminds Renka of Stain's words. The celebrity status of heroes is even more developed than it was in her time and society continues to support this fragile ecosystem, staying blind to its dangers.

Wasn't being a hero about rescuing people in crisis? Defeating villains? But it feels like a side job for some. You're more likely to see Uwabami modeling than patrolling the streets any day. Then again, is that really bad? Heroes need money too. They can't survive on justice. And how can hopes be laid on heroes if people don't even know they exist? The best way of promoting heroes is for them to stand in front of the camera.

Renka snaps out of her thoughts when the last bell rings. Walking up the column with her bag, she rams her knuckles on Katsuki's table.

The boy's eyes narrow in annoyance, "Bugger off."

"Dinner's curry."

"I warned you."

"Dad's got some cayenne on his trip."

"... After a shower."

Her middle school friends came up as a conversation topic last night and her mother suggested calling them over. The woman even prepared the best bait for Katsuki—spicy food. Japanese curry can be pretty mild so Touko upped the game with some red hot pepper powder. She came up with a secret blend that will knock his socks off, as she put it.

Izuku won't be able to come because All Might called him out after class. Of course, having him and Katsuki eat at the same table is never a good idea but their relationship has changed since their middle school days... Renka takes one look at the blond's poopyface.

Nope, still a bad idea.

※※※

The first ominous sign is when Touko opens the door and chides: "You'll catch a cold! Join the girls while I grab a towel."

"...'Kay." Katsuki most certainly caught that plural noun.

The second sign is the footwear by the entrance. Besides the shoes for the 2 adults, there's a pair of sneakers too large for Renka's feet.

And the third sign confirms everything.

"Too bad the others couldn't make it... let's go for a day trip after the exams. Himari and Aiko are dying to hear about..."

Katsuki tunes out the talk about their middle school clique. He hasn't been hanging out with his old gang himself. Then again, it's high time they learned to be their own people and stop following him around or bombard the group chat.

The blond strides into the dining room and pulls out a wooden chair opposite Renka. As with most of the home, the warm hue of the golden pine wood gives off the vibe that the residents are a fucking happy family like in one of those sappy sitcoms.

But reality has always been stranger than fiction.

※※※

"My, has His Highness finally decided to grace us with your presence?"

Yumegasaki Fiore heard him enter the house earlier on but didn't want to acknowledge the boy. Self-important asses have been her least favourite characters since the old days and attending the same middle school with the boy only reinforced that thought.

Her almond eyes narrow. Katsuki is slightly tardy and he's made it a point in his attire why. Spiky blond locks that are slightly droopy continue to drip moisture that slides from the muscled neck and vanishing into his loose V-neck tank. The damp clothes cling to his slim figure, outlining sculpted muscles and leaving little to the imagination. The slight baby fat on his face commensurate with his age is the only soft part of the growing boy's body.

"His Highness is so talented, just looking at you causes a loss of appetite. Don't taint my baby." The androgynous girl covers Renka's eyes.

"I don't want to hear that from a creep."

It isn't until Touko returns with a large towel that the darkness covering Renka's eyes leaves and their argument stops. Renka is a bit dazed, like she just woke up from a doze. Reflex tears fill her eyes as she yawns and a little pink tongue can be faintly seen behind the open cherry lips. She looks around, confused, like an old computer with a slow startup and finally gives a smile when her attention turns to Fiore. With him, the girl acts like she's fighting a mortal enemy but why is she so docile with someone else!

Doesn't she notice Fiore's eyes?

It irks him to no end, like someone touched his possession. An urge to hide it away from the world so that only he can set sight upon it surges up. Those blue eyes will only look at him, those soft lips will only smile at him and that little mouth...

"Curry's ready!" 

Katsuki snaps out of his thoughts, irritated. What was he thinking?! That's the loathsome midget! He moved to help set the plates while the girls scoop the steaming rice.