26 - King... Or Not [2]

The second stage is a cavalry battle. Participants are to form 2 to 4-person teams, where person(s) designated as the 'horse' will carry an elected 'rider'. They are to swipe the headbands of enemy riders while guarding their own.

Each team's headband is worth the total points of its members, which is in turn determined by their placement in the preliminary round. The higher you placed, the more points are added... And so being 1st, Izuku's an overwhelming 10 million points, painting a huge, red target on the boy and whoever teams up with him.

"Hey..."

"Ya on ya own, Midoriya!"

"Ah..."

"My bad, bro."

Even though there was a chance of high risk high return, ultimately they didn't want to be singled out and chased by everyone throughout the battle. It's like waving a succulent piece of meat in front of starved wolves. So the students avoided Izuku like the sea Moses parted. Nope, didn't see those puppy eyes...!

The pup—uh, boy sweats bullets... Plans form in his head, but they're all useless without a team. That is, until warm, chocolate eyes make contact with his green ones. Is... is that an angel descending from the heavens?!!! Tears pour from Izuku like a waterfall.

Away from all the drama on this end, Renka taps a tall shoulder.

"Wanna team up?"

※※※

About 24 minutes into the semi-finals, Hitoshi bends low and shouts urgently, "Nirengeki! Mashirao! Lost kid!"

"Aye!"

"Gotcha!"

"Whaddya mean by 'Lost kid'! I have a nam—"

One by one, the three people forming Hitoshi's 'horse' lose the light in their eyes and leap skywards, barely escaping Kaminari Denki's wide-range electrocution. Team Todoroki has been engaging Team Midoriya and pretty much decided to bring everyone else into the crossfire.

"Ha, that was close," Ojiro's tail hits the ground, absorbing some of the impact and stabilizing the landing, "...I think that's enough ice for a lifetime."

A small smile grows on the roundish face of the teen next to him, "Nice call, Shinsou!"

Satisfaction at the success bubbles in Hitoshi's chest, but he isn't conceited. It's clear to him that it was a team effort, "... You too."

Shinsou's Brainwash had only lasted till the height of their synchronized jump. Any subsequent action was a result of free will and thinking... including that of 1-B's Nirengeki Shouda. The chubby boy with short, blue hair a couple shades lighter than Renka's, had used his Twin Impact to break the ice before their landing.

"Yeah, sure would suck to be in their shoes," Renka cocks her chin at the shocked and frozen people. The initial discharge by Kaminari had prevented most from avoiding Shouto's ice. Meanwhile, Shouto's group remained unscathed thanks to the insulation fabric their other member Momo prepared beforehand. Red Velvet can be pretty crafty... did he plan this all the way back during teammate selection?!

Though... bet he didn't foresee someone else benefiting from it.

Renka starts laughing like the mad woman she is and dashes forward, pulling the rest of the team along. "Don't mind if we help ourselves!!"