08 - Anger... Or Not

Ten years.

For the time she's known him, he's always on the winning side. Chances are, it's been that way his entire life. A crazy strong Quirk, quick reflexes, great intuition, keen eyes and a strategic mind. It's no surprise his surroundings have been singing his praises. It's no surprise his ego is built up so high that if he looks down at others any further, he'll have to look up. It's no surprise he's become the Katsuki today... right?

AS IF!

Renka scoffs. Ten years! You'd think a decade of being an insufferable smartass is enough, but Katsuki evidently disagrees. Just as she thought his 'loss' to Izuku—though he's probably the only one who considers it one—would be the long-awaited wake-up call, she clearly overestimated him. Yes, everyone has different coping mechanisms, but he just had to channel his confusion and disbelief into at Izuku. He just had to fall back to his usual habits, even though change is calling for him.

※※※

Katsuki looks away from the green-haired boy, who's on his way to the infirmary. He's not wrong. It doesn't make sense. Quirks manifest by the age of 4 so how did that good-for-nothing get his Quirk? How did he do that? There must be something up, and he will get to the bottom of it. Still lost in his rumination, a sudden insult comes hurling at him.

"Bakagou, we need to talk. Don't worry, this won't take long," ignoring the curious glances of some of her leaving classmates, the bluenette drags Katsuki away.

Feeling the impatient tugs of her soft hand, Katsuki frowns. He'd have long gone ballistic had he not sensed that something is off. The fuck's up with her? This is the happy-go-lucky shortie he's talking about. Even when she does get mad, it's always short-lived outbursts; never this sort of simmering, smouldering anger. Besides, there's still that uncomfortable knot in his stomach when facing her. He hasn't quite gotten over her 'lie'.

The two arrive at the back of a building, isolated and perfect for private talks. However, in spite of the location, the atmosphere is definitely not one of love confessions. Taking the boy's uncharacteristic silence for disbelief, Renka's baby pink lips part.

"You heard it right, Bakagou! You're not the Kakkun I know. The Kakkun I know may be impulsive, but he isn't stupid. Why haven't you realised it yet? Do you really need help getting something so obvious through that thick skull?"

That's it. A manic grin draws itself over Katsuki's face, the sound of his cracking knuckles echoing in the empty space. Does everyone think they can walk all over him, HUH?

"First, it's that fucking Deku and now this narcoleptic dwarf?!"

No one, not even her, talks to him like that. No one looks down on him.

"That's some nerve you have there. CARE TO REPEAT TH—!!?"

Explosions have been set off from his sweating palms, but his eyes widen at the realisation that they're smaller than usual. Even before his brain processes the cause, his instincts already make him take several steps back, though that's as far as he can go. His muscles have slackened and it's taking all he has to not collapse on the ground. Pissed, he weakly claws at the white petals on his exposed skin, only to have more adhering themselves in replacement.

"How... DARE YOU!" Despite the tone, his voice lacks the usual power and pressure.

The bluenette doesn't even bat an eyelid. Stepping closer to the taller boy, a pale finger jabs at his chest.

She can turn a blind eye to his rudeness. She can turn a blind eye to his oppressing. But she cannot turn a blind eye when he's losing himself and everything he stands for. There's no doubt a person of his caliber will be a great hero in the future. Unfortunately, coupled with his current mindset... that's simply throwing his life away! Renka puts on the fiercest look she can, though it's about as intimidating as a rabbit appears to a tiger.

"You've been so obsessed with your pride that you lost sight of your goal, Mr. Third Place! You could have done better in the last two tests and yet you let your worthless, bruised ego take precedence. You let Izu-chan's feat distract you, just as you let my insult do the same. You'll never surpass All Might!"

※※※

Looking at the trembling finger pressed against his muscle and the tearless dread in her eyes, Katsuki chokes back on the bellows that were about to leave his throat. So that's what this is all about... A complicated expression replaces his pissed one.

"Look at yourself, moron. Are you one to talk?"

As though his words are the signal, a wave of fatigue hits the girl and she finds herself swaying, only to land in strong arms... devoid of petals. Her eyes widen in realisation. He had unceasingly ripped her petals apart, thus forcing her to continually materialise more. That, along with the earlier tests, must have taken a toll on her. She can no longer sustain the Quirk. A self-deprecating smile adorns her face. Who's the real condescending one?

"Don't they say great minds think alike?" She takes a different sort of jab at him this time.

"Tch. Don't forget, fools often differ. You're the only fool here though," after a pause, Katsuki nudges the small girl leaning on his chest, "... Hey, stand on your own."

"No way, you're so warm... and alive."

Her voice comes out muffled and Katsuki can feel his shirt getting wet. The girl in his arms feel so small and vulnerable, as if she would break with the least bit of carelessness. His right hand lifts her chin while his left continues to hold her steady as her full weight is placed on him.

"ARGH, cut the crap."

Even through the tears in her eyes, the intensity of Katsuki's glare seems to render the world immobile. For a moment, the only things she can see are Katsuki's crimson eyes. Whatever he says next will be lodged in her heart as nothing but the absolute truth.

"Don't lump me with those two-bit characters. I'm the strongest, and the strongest always wins!" the silent implication being that winners never die.

Renka almost giggled at the childlike, innocent grin on his face, "Mm... you're not lying," the drops from her dark blue orbs seem to subside somewhat.

"The fuck would I..." The words trail off as he clicks his tongue as though he was reminded of something. The hand on her chin moves to her nose and gives a harsh pinch, "Why did you lie about the entrance exams?"

※※※

Katsuki is carrying the almost K.O.ed bluenette on his shoulder with ease.

"Mmm... don't treat me... like a sack of potatoes..."

The ash blond wonders why he hasn't murdered her already, "... Just be grateful I didn't leave you there."

The happiness of finally reconciling with the boy makes the fatigue easier to bear. After a lot of confusion and shouting from both parties, they finally made out the details of the misunderstanding a moment ago. Apparently, even those with recommendation letters have to pass a special exam. It doesn't matter whether you hail from a famous hero family like Momo and Shouto, or have some sort of connection. Passing both written and practical portions of that exam is a requirement. She must have gone for it, behind his back... or at least that's the logical conclusion.

Except, she has no memory of doing so at all.