Twenty One

Chris
I left my parents tonight to be with her.

I was confused when most of us were down in the lobby and she was the only one who didn't step out of the elevator. I didn't want to be near my Dad anyway. I was nothing but a business deal to him.

"Chris, I'm telling you. Boston over Pittsburgh. You'd be closer to us!" He begged me.

"Dad, I like Pittsburgh better. It's my choice and my last decision. I get brand deals wherever I go" I shut him up as my Mom stood in between us.

"Honey, how about we settle this over dinner?"

I shook my head. "I'm tired and my head hurts. I need to rest before my brain damage hits. I love you both, thanks for coming" I hugged both of them before they could stop me from leaving the conversation.

I'll take the girl upstairs for dinner before I go with them. All the talked about was soccer. I love soccer, I was born to play, but sometimes it'd be nice to do something else.

So that's why I ended up with her. Right now.

In a cemetery

I never guessed I'd be here. This place is very sketchy.

But now I see that this is where she lived for most of her life.

It's sad.

"Mom, this is Chris" she spoke to the stone in the ground. What am I supposed to say? I don't know how this stuff goes and I don't think she does either.

I cleared my throat.

"Hi, Angel. Your daughter is very hot and a bright girl, you would be proud" I spoke to her Mom. Madison gasped and laughed in disbelief. She leaned her body back on me, hugging her knees to her chest.

My heart hurt for her.

"Mom, I'm almost at my clinicals, I'm almost a nurse and I'm almost able to help babies and people like you. Chris is a quarterback at Boston University" she paused before continuing. "Don't worry, he's different. Grandma and Grandpa are doing good. I miss you so much, Mom. I'm sorry I didn't visit sooner, but I hope I'm making you proud"

She stood up and grabbed my hand pulling me up with her. I can't believe she brought me here. Did she trust me that much? I can't imagine losing a parent that young.

We left the cemetery and walked down the sidewalk again. "Blake, are you okay after that?" I asked, holding her hand.

She looked at me and smiled. "I'm okay, I promise"

She leaned forward again. "We have to go to one more place" she said and I stopped her.

"You know this is a sketchy area, right?" I asked and she laughed as we kept laughing.

"I just need to see the parking garage on the corner, that's all I need to see. I need to feel like her for a second"

She stopped at the corner and stared at one spot.

Across the street from the parking garage was a strip club that looked dead right now. It was only 7pm, so maybe it wasn't open yet.

She took one last look before clearing her throat and nodding.

"Okay, I'm good now. What do you want to do?" She asked and I stopped her from walking away.

"Quit avoiding your feelings, Madison. What's going on?" I made eye contact with her as her eyes started to well up with tears.

"I've never seen it in person" she said and I looked at her confused.

"Seen what in person?"

She laughed. "That's where my parents met"