𝟭𝟵 ͏͏͏͏͏͏ ͏͏͏͏͏͏ ͏͏͏͏͏͏⠀Paying It Forward

CHAPTER NINETEEN
Paying It Forward

★

͏͏͏͏͏͏ ͏͏͏͏͏͏ ͏͏͏͏͏͏⠀⠀ The day is drawing to a close

͏͏͏͏͏͏ ͏͏͏͏͏͏ ͏͏͏͏͏͏⠀⠀ The day is drawing to a close. The sun has dipped halfway past the horizon, casting a warm glow over Darisan Preparatory School. The air is still and quiet, and the pavement is littered with fallen autumn leaves - a mosaic of yellows, oranges and reds decorating the otherwise frigid landscape.

To most, this would be considered a welcome sight.

Han Sujin is certainly not most.

Especially when her first community service punishment of the week involves having to pick each and every single one of those leaves off the pathway.

Yes.

Every. Single. One.

With a rake in one hand and a roll of garbage bags in the other, the girl painstakingly trudges down the path. She can't help but let the leaves crunch beneath her sneakers, figuring that she's probably making her job about a thousand times harder in the process, but not finding it in herself to care enough to stop. Stumbling a little from the sheer weight of the rake, the girl begins scraping the leaves into piles on either end of the pathway.

"This is so dumb..." She mutters to herself listlessly, "They're leaves, for crying out loud! They're supposed to be on the ground!"

Her whining attracts the prying eyes of passing students who, at this time, are either making their way to the library for a long afternoon of studying, or soaking up the golden hour in small groups.

Must be nice, Sujin thinks with a huff.

Suddenly noticing a frantic movement in the distance, she pauses her actions to squint against the unhelpful blur that always seems to result from long days and a lack of reading glasses. She's not able to make out a face, but manages to conclude that the figure is waving to her.