Chapter Thirty-Three

When Dylan awoke the next morning in Max's bed, still wrapped in his arms, she almost had to pinch herself to make sure it was real. She'd never been so cosy and warm in all her life and the smell of him enveloped her. His cheek was pressed against her head and she could feel the slight scratch of his stubble as he adjusted and pulled her closer. 

This was what peace felt like.

The steadiness of his breaths against her back calmed her and she welcomed the feeling of absolute security, wanting nothing more than to slip back into quiet darkness with him.

Unfortunately, the clock was flashing, showing it was 6am.

The idea of leaving such heaven was horrible but she had duties to complete and she still needed to get back to her room, shower, pack for the day, and make it down to breakfast with Hunter and the team. She couldn't throw her job away just because there was a ridiculously good-looking man in her bed, who happened to give the best cuddles.

Also, nobody could see her leaving Max's room.

It was imperative that she got back to her own room before any of the team would be up and walking around the corridors. While she knew that people were going to find out about them today, that didn't mean she wanted anyone to see her sneaking out of his bedroom. That would bring some unwelcome assumptions.

As she shuffled around, getting ready to sit up, Max's grip tightened around her and he groaned, pulling her further into his arms, "Go back to sleep, baby."

His voice was deep and she wanted nothing more than to close her eyes and obey his command but her rational brain was winning.

"I have to be at breakfast in half an hour. I'm travelling with the engineers today."

"I'll take you in later." He mumbled against her hair, the vibration sending chills down her spine.

Dylan wanted to groan in frustration. He wasn't making this any easier for her. 

Finally, she managed to wiggle out of his grip and turn around to face him. He was a sight to behold with his messy hair and she cursed herself for looking at him as it made it ten times harder to leave. His eyes were still closed but he was frowning and she moved forward to gently kiss his forehead, smoothing away the frown lines.

"I'll see you at the paddock."

Max peeled open one eye, finally accepting that he wasn't going to get his way, "Fine. Go."

"Thank you." Dylan chuckled, sitting up and stretching her stiff arms, "I'll make it up to you."

"I'll hold you to that."

Then his eyes were closed and he was snoring again. Dylan looked wistfully at the space by his chest where she had just been before slowly climbing out the warmth of the bed and grabbing her belongings from around the room. She decided to stay in Max's clothes to save time.

Trying to leave as quietly as possible, she gently closed the hotel room door behind her and then raced down the corridor back to her own room. There was nothing like the fear of being caught to wake her up.

It was the quickest shower she'd ever had in her life. The knowledge that Hunter would be coming to knock for her imminently had her rushing around the room, throwing on a Red Bull top and jeans and running a brush quickly through her hair. She found just enough time to put some mascara and concealer on and throw all her camera equipment in the right bags before there was a firm knock on the door.

"Hi!" Dylan smiled brightly, trying to make it seem like she hadn't just been rushing through this door twenty minutes ago herself.

"Morning, doll! Ready to go?"