Chapter Fifty-One

Chapter Fifty-One

Summer break was here and everyone was scattered.

Hunter had gone back to Texas, Lewis was in Barbados, the pit crew boys had gone on a lads trip to Amsterdam, Red Bull managers were back in England, Esteban and Mick had gone driving through Switzerland, and Dylan was currently lying on Max's penthouse balcony, soaking up the sun. 

It had been a wonderful week with all their friends in Monaco and she had enjoyed every second of it. They'd spent most of their time on Charles' yacht but they'd also cycled through the streets, driven into Italy, played endless rounds of golf, and gone scuba diving in the bay. Well, Dylan had balked after about ten minutes underwater but she'd tried and that was what counted.

Today was their last day in Monaco before they travelled to Spain, where Carlos had booked out a villa for them on the coast. Originally, the boys had wanted to go mountain-climbing and sky-diving but the girls had pleaded so incessantly that they finally agreed on the coastal villa, where the boys could at least surf and cycle. Their constant need for extreme sports was bizarre, Dylan couldn't help but think. 

Brad had gone back to England for some time with his family and to pick up work with other clients but Max had maintained his high level of training. The race in Hungary hadn't been bad but Max had missed the podium once more and he'd been determined not to lose his edge over the break. 

Dylan had become accustomed to him slipping out of bed at 4 or 5am to hit the gym or go for a run and then sneaking back in around 9am, when she preferred to wake up. At first, she'd worried a little for him but he seemed to have struck a good balance and still participated in all their fun events throughout the day. 

Outside of her slight concern for his streak of bad racing luck, she was perfectly content. Truly, she had felt closer to him than ever recently and she wondered how there had ever been a time where she didn't have him in her life. He fit so naturally with her and each day brought her closer and closer to the realisation that she didn't want to spend another day without him.

How had she gotten so lucky to score the perfect boyfriend?

"Hey, gorgeous." As if she'd summoned him with her thoughts, the balcony door slid open and Max walked out, "Had enough sun yet?"

"Hmm, never." 

She peeled one eye open behind her sunglasses to see Max sit down on the lounger next to her. He was shirtless, having clearly just come from the shower and she watched his muscles contort as he stretched out.

He felt her gaze and raised an eyebrow, turning to meet her eye.

Busted.

"It's not polite to stare."

As he chastised her, his eyes shamelessly raked down her body, which was scantily clad in a black bikini. 

She let out a laugh, "Hypocrite."

"Hey, I'm not staring, I'm appreciating. There's a difference."

Dylan chuckled again, closing her eyes and leaning her head back down against the lounger so the sun was perfectly warming her face again.

"I just spoke to Carlos, he wants us to be at the airport by 5."

"Oh, nice. I'll finish my packing after lunch."

Max slipped his sunglasses onto his face, "Are you sure you don't want to go back home for a little bit before the season starts again?"

It had crossed her mind when she was planning out her break schedule. She didn't have the same dread that she'd felt for the first half of the season when she thought about travelling home and there was nothing inherently there to stop her from going back. Yet, she'd found that she wasn't really fussed about it.