𝟗: 𝐌𝐚𝐫𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐝

I sighed, as everyone started working again

I sighed, as everyone started working again. The priest received a sudden call and said that it's an inauspicious (ashubh) time for the wedding. So, they stopped the ceremony for 30 minutes. But the weird thing is...this priest looks scared. But from what?

Suddenly everyone's eyes moved from me to somewhere else. So, I dragged my eyes there too to see Aaliya walking downstairs covering her entire face in her long veil.

I looked around her and saw 2-3 girls walking along with her, but her so called bestfriend Akshara isn't here. I thought that she'd be able to break my marriage, atleast for Aaliya  but she didn't.

Aaliya sat beside me and the priest started the rituals. "Bhabhi ghoonghat Thora upar Karo na" (Bhabhi can you lift that veil a little up?) Sanya requested to Aaliya. "Nahi, Ashubh hota hai" (No, that's a bad sign) her dadi said.

All the time the priest said the mantras. I noticed that Aaliya  kept looking around, like finding someone.

I put my hand on her hand, out of anyone's eye, and mumbled lightly. "Is there any problem?" She shook her head lightly but it doesn't feel assuring. I noticed a tear falling on her hand from inside her Vail.
"You sure?" I asked again. She nodded lightly.

"Now, fill the vermilion (sindoor)in the bride's hair partition." The priest said. I took a pinch of sindoor and leaned to Aaliya, I could feel her nervous. I filled the sindoor in her hair partition.

After that, the priest asked me to tie mangalsutra in her neck. "Vivah samparn hua" (wedding is completed) the priest said. I stood up. I offered her a hand she looked up at me, and held my hand standing up.

We both touched elders feets and all the time, I noticed she is behaving weird. "Ab to shaadi ho gai na, ab ye ghoonghat hatao na bhabhi" Sanya insisted again. "You can now re--" Aaliya's dadi's words stopped looking behind me. I noticed that everyone is looking behind me with open mouths.

I turned and for a second, I couldn't believe my eyes.
There is standing Aaliya, with a band-aid on her hand. Next second, everyone's eyes moved back to the bride beside me. I slowly moved my hand to her Vail and lifted it.

"Akshara" I muttered looking at her. Before I could say or do anything, Aaliya came from behind and held Akshara's hand.

"Why? Just..why?" Aaliya sobbed.  Akshara remained silent. Not uttering a single voice. "Is this why you were convensing me again and again to break the marriage?" She remained silent, just looking down. After what she did, she doesn't have any right to look up in Aaliya's eyes.

"Just why?" Aaliya shook Akshara holding her shoulders. "Why?" She yelled loudly at her before bursting into tears and walking to her mom and hugging her.

"Akshara" her father came forward. "Papa" she said lightly looking up at him. "I know you wouldn't do it by yourself, tell me, did anyone forced you?" He asked holding her face in his palms. She shook her head. Did she did it because I asked her to help me break the marriage? No, she wouldn't.

"What's going on!" A voice that I hate so much yelled rushing out from the crowd. "How did this girl ended up marrying my son?" He yelled again, Akshara jumped in shock.

"There is really some problem. We..we can fix it--" Aaliya's father was interrupted by Mr. Singhaniya's throwing a glass on floor shattering it into pieces. "Fix it? How the hell are you going to fix it?" Aaliya's father remained silent. "You" Mr. Singhaniya turned to Akshara. I can see the nervousness in her body.

"Get ready for your farewell" he said. I looked at Aaliya, she's already looking at me while sobbing heavily. I closed my hands into fist to control myself not to burst on Akshara for what she did.

"What farewell? My daughter is not going anywhere." Akshara's father declared. "Then You should've taught her not to take someone else place. Now, nothing can happen. Media is standing right outside the door"

He's literally not thinking about anything else than media? Well that's what he has always been doing. But no way I'm going to accept this marriage. No fucking way.

I don't know what I am more angry on that she married me or she cheated on her bestfriend, on the girl who trusted her more than anyone.

In any way, I hate cheaters.

"What? What are you guys waiting for now? The wedding is done, let's take our daughter in law to our home." Only if he cared about anyone's feelings other than his image and standard.

"How can--no Akshara won't go anywhere" Akshara's father started panicking. She's still crying in her father's arms.

I saw maa going to him and talking to him calmly. Probably convincing him to let her take Akshara home.

Mr Singhaniya started walking outside. "Payal, bring everyone outside" He growled. Maa nodded before motioning me to walk out. I glanced at Aaliya one last time before walking out. There's no reason to stand and watch here.

Outside, he's already busy giving interview about what happened and God knows what 'Khichdi' he made. "---Akshara was always the one who was going to marry Arhaan, for some personal reasons, We ended up doing the wedding at my friend Mr. Srinivasan's house--" He lied professionally.

I rolled my neck in frustration, I really fucking don't know what to do! How the hell did I got in this situation.

Maa walked out holding Akshara's hand and comforting her. She's lucky, I know. Whatever she did but my family is not going to treat her any diffrent then they were going to treat Aaliya and that's pissing me more. How can she like to take place of someone else? especially her bestfriend.

But I'll not let her succeed. Whatever she did it for. 

"Arhaan, you and Akshara are going in the same car as per rituals" Maa said helping Akshara inside the car. "I'm not going with her--" I stopped looking at maa's warning glare. "fine" I said sitting in the same car. She's the last person I listen to.

The driver started the car. I tried to wait, for us to reach home. Last time I checked, my patience level was very high. But I don't think the same now.

Enough waiting! "Are you gonna explain why--" I turned to Akshara but stopped when she Suddenly bursted into tears sobbing loudly.

She gripped the corner of my sherwani, sobbing loudly. The driver side eyed me. All the anger I had for her, washed away, and I realised. I was going to do the same, accusing her of a fault without even listening to her.

"I didn't."

I shook away the flashbacks. "Akshara.." I tried to console her. However much I try to be hard on her. I can't, just looking the way she's crying weights my heart. "Akshara please" I tried.

She's just reminding me of that day. When I was crying the same, maybe, more heavier than her. But I know, no one deserves to cry like this, except me. Especially her.

"I didn't wanted her hurt" she sobbed. So she married me? It is not making sense in any way.  "Akshara calm down" I raised my hands to hold her but, stopped.

"Did you see how she was crying?" She sobbed. I nodded. "I didn't wanted her hurt..." She mumbled before leaning on the door and closing her eyes.

"But still, you did" I muttered, looking at her.

After a minute, her head fell on my shoulder. I slowly tilted my head to look at her, she's a whole mess. Just like the one she created. But still it doesn't bothers her beauty.

I tried hard to egnore but finally, raised my hands and tucked the hair locks behind her ear that were annoying her.

I won't take out my anger on her, but only for now.

_______________________🥀________

Thank you.💗