Chapter 7 - Great Kantō Earthquake (2)

The reflection and lessons learned from the Great Kantō Earthquake extended beyond communication and emergency response. There were various issues that the Imperial Japanese Navy needed to identify and address.

"The emergency medical team from the United States showed an extremely excellent emergency medical response. We should inquire with the Americans about the equipment, gear, and, above all, their know-how, and consider introducing them into our country."

The Navy Minister also expressed approval in response to this assertion.

"I have received similar reports. Several emergency relief teams from overseas have already entered the Imperial Capital, but it seems that the performance of the American medical team was remarkable. I didn't personally witness their efforts, but the victims are quite grateful, it seems. Well, even so, the damage caused by a normal fire is already so tremendous. I can't imagine how many people would be harmed if a major naval battle were to occur."

"Yes. Regarding that matter, in the future, I believe we should expand the medical facilities of each ship and, if the budget allows, increase the number of hospital ships. Trained soldiers are a treasure for the Imperial Navy, an invaluable asset."

"That's right. As we, who lag behind in scientific capabilities compared to the West, manpower is our lifeline."

The Navy Minister nodded and continued the discussion.

"Next is the stockpiling of supplies. In this earthquake, our Imperial Navy provided various supplies such as food, medicine, and blankets. However, it was far from sufficient to meet the demand. Of course, there's a constraint in the form of the budget, but it did make me think a bit."

"We need to consider stockpiling seriously. Certainly, our country boasts one of the world's leading navies with numerous battleships and cruisers. However, the stockpiling situation of ammunition and fuel is far from satisfactory. After all, battleships, cruisers, and aircraft are nothing more than means of transportation to deliver ammunition to the enemy. Without essential ammunition, battleships and cruisers cannot fight, and without fuel, they cannot move."

"In other words, instead of just building warships, we need to enhance logistics by improving facilities for fuel storage and the production of weapons and ammunition."

"Exactly. Speaking of logistics, along with transport capacity, the enhancement of ships specializing in amphibious capabilities will become necessary in the future."

"What does 'amphibious capabilities' specifically mean?" the Navy Minister twisted his head in response to a term he hasn't paid much attention to.

"Do you know the current situation in Tokyo Bay, Minister?"

"No, I've been focused on the land damage, and I haven't grasped what's happening on the sea."

While questioning his own attitude as the head of the Imperial Navy, the Navy Minister honestly admitted.

"At the moment, there is a situation in Tokyo Bay where ships wishing to unload supplies are queuing up and waiting. This is because the earthquake caused significant damage to port facilities, resulting in a drastic reduction in cargo handling capacity. However, looking at it differently, I believe the same can be said for islands around the Pacific."

"Are you referring to the strategic battles over Pacific islands that you often mention in the context of a war with the United States?"

"Yes, sir. Although it's a bit uncomfortable to talk about the United States, which has been very kind to Japan in this earthquake, as a hypothetical enemy, we must prepare for a war with them. In that war, the focus will likely shift from fleet battles to aerial combat between aircraft. And it will involve a struggle for islands with suitable airfield locations."

"There are very few islands in the Pacific with proper port facilities, excluding Hawaii. That's what you mean, right?"

Apart from Hawaii, there are hardly any islands with such facilities in the Pacific. And currently, Hawaii serves as a major base for the United States' dominance in the Pacific.

"You're right. The port facilities near the Imperial Capital haven't lost all their functions due to the earthquake. However, the congestion is still evident. In the Pacific, most islands lack landing facilities, or even if they have them, they are extremely weak. And delays in landing are highly advantageous to the enemy."

"So, if there's a delay, it could result in being bombed by enemy aircraft or shelled by enemy ships?"

"Yes. Of course, we'll do everything possible to escort these ships, but depending on the circumstances, there might be amphibious operations in contested or unfavorable conditions where air superiority is in question. The ability to quickly land supplies from ships could be a matter of life and death in certain situations."

"Amphibious operations with contested air superiority. I, being a person with a rigid mindset, have a little trouble imagining those situations. I'm sorry, but could you handle the research on that matter? If you lack personnel, I'll make sure to find the right men for the job."

The Navy Minister delegated this matter to his subordinate, expressing trust in handling this issue.