Chapter 57 - Shiden

"Enemy formation detected, 400 planes!"

When Admiral Mitscher, commander of the Fifth Fleet, heard the tense report, he did not feel surprised by the number. The Midway base had already been subjected to a Japanese air raid with over 200 aircraft. Nevertheless, with eighteen carriers, they could easily deploy around 400 aircraft separately from this.

According to the aviation staff, assuming that the six newly added Japanese carriers were all modified battleships like the Nagato or Fusō classes, the number of aircraft they could carry would be estimated to be around 50 based on the capabilities of their own Lexington-class and British Eagle carriers. In other words, an increase of 300 aircraft. If they add the expected Sōryū and Shōkaku classes, carrying around 70 to 80 aircraft each, and the Chitose-class with around 30 aircraft, the total could exceed 1.000 aircraft. In that case, even if 50 planes were allocated for reconnaissance, Japan's fleet would still have about 350 aircraft left. Opinions differ on whether Japan's fleet is using all of them as combat air patrol or if there is a second wave attack planned, but for now, the issue is how to overcome the first wave of over 400 aircraft. On this matter, Mitscher did not hesitate.

"Launch all fighters. Intercept the enemy's first wave with full force. Ignore combat air patrol rotations. If the enemy's second wave comes, we can think about it then."

Following his orders, F6F Hellcat fighters from the nine carriers of the Fifth Fleet kicked off the flight deck and soared into the sky one after another. From the Essex-class regular carriers, two squadrons of 24 aircraft each, and from the Independence-class light carriers, one squadron of 12 aircraft each, a total of 156 F6Fs accelerated to increase their speed and headed towards the Japanese attack force, aiming to increase the opportunities for repeated attacks. Shortly after the F6Fs ascended to the interception altitude, the 156 crew members discovered a large formation advancing, filling the sky.

On the other hand, among the 168 Shiden escorting the 216 Tenzan, Lieutenant Commander Shindo in command of the 84-plane air superiority squadron, spotted the enemy formation and immediately raised the altitude of his plane to gain the advantage. The enemy seemed to have anticipated their intentions as well. They, too, began to climb. At a glance, the number of enemy aircraft was nearly twice that of the air superiority squadron. Stopping all of them would be nearly impossible. The missed enemy aircraft would have to be left to the combat air patrol, but Lieutenant Commander Itaya, the squadron leader and combat air patrol leader, should handle it well.

Leaving the rest to Itaya, Shindo, along with his 83 subordinates, piloted the Shiden and dove into the swarm of enemy aircraft. If it were F4F Wildcats, they would not be a match for the Shiden. Thinking so, something seemed off. While the overall silhouette closely resembled the F4F, the approaching speed was markedly different from before.

"The enemy has brought out a new plane model as well. However, that was expected. Do not underestimate Japan's intelligence capabilities."

The Imperial Navy, placing importance on information above all else, adheres to traditions dating back to the Meiji era. However, actions took precedence over gratitude for that organizational culture. Just before the bullets from the enemy hit the Shiden, Shindo slid his aircraft slightly to avoid the projectiles. Immediately after a close encounter with enemy aircraft, he activated the automatic air combat flaps, executed a sharp turn, and promptly took position behind them. The enemy pilots seemed to have lost sight of him, evident from their confused maneuvers.

"This is different from the Zero, completely different!" Shindo yelled.

He showered the enemy's new fighter with 20 mm rounds from a close range. The enemy fighter, sewn from front to back by 20 mm rounds, scattered fragments generously as it plunged into the sea. By that time, other Shiden were also shooting down the enemy's new fighters one after another.

"Not a young soldier, but not skilled enough to be called seasoned," Shindo assessed the enemy pilots in this way.

Although the engagement with enemy aircraft was brief, Shindo had already discerned that the enemy's new fighter had performed on par with the Shiden. The aircraft performance was evenly matched. In that case, the outcome would be determined by the numbers and the skill of the pilots. Clearly, the enemy had the numerical advantage. Nevertheless, the falling new enemy fighters outnumbered the Shiden.

The skill of the enemy pilots was not bad, but on the other hand, many of them seemed to be on their first mission. It was evident that they lacked combat experience. Perhaps the heavy losses of carrier pilots in the Battle of Wake Island and the First Battle of Midway were still affecting them. Those with actual combat experience in the US carrier force had largely perished in these battles, and the pilots of the new fighters were probably selected from those who excelled in training.

With a little more confidence, Shindo shifted his gaze to the friendly formations. It seemed that some of the new enemy fighters had broken through the air superiority squadron's defensive line, but they were unable to escape the combat air patrol's defense net. As far as Shindo could confirm, not a single Tenzan had been shot down by enemy fighters. And now, those Tenzan were breaking formation and transitioning into an attack formation. It seemed that the enemy fleet was only a few minutes away.