Chapter 62 - Tenzan Onslaught

Their primary duty was to shoot down enemy aircraft, and bombing was considered an auxiliary or secondary task. Nevertheless, the Shiden performed more than adequately. Over 600 rounds from more than 300 Shiden caused significant damage to American cruisers and destroyers. No cruiser or destroyer remained unscathed after the Shiden's attack; only six new battleships emerged unharmed. This indicated a significant reduction in the US fleet's anti-air capabilities. Many of the cruisers' high-angle guns, destroyers' dual-purpose guns, as well as machine guns and autocannons, were damaged, and the personnel operating them suffered casualties. The skilled pilots flying the Tenzan did not overlook the enemy's desperate situation.

"Communicate the attack targets to each Tenzan unit. The First Fleet attacks the enemy's first and second ships, the Second Fleet the third ship, the Fourth Fleet the fourth ship, and the Third Fleet attacks the fifth and sixth ships."

This concise order from Lieutenant Commander Tomonaga, who took command of the first and second attack groups, was given in response. In response, the 148 Tenzan split into two groups: half aimed for the port side and the other half for the starboard side, attempting to pincer attack the enemy. The first to fourth battleships of the enemy would be attacked by about 20 planes, while the fifth and sixth ships would be subject to an assault of 30 planes.

The Hiryū squadron led by Tomonaga began its assault just as the Sōryū squadron rounded the starboard side of the third enemy ship. Being pinched by 10 Tenzan each from the port and starboard sides, made evasive maneuvers and attempted a desperate counterattack using its anti-air weaponry. Despite the intense barrage, few were hit. It would be difficult for even an American battleship with a high-performance fire control system to hit a target in the middle of an evasive maneuver.

Tomonaga's eyes focused on the silhouette of the enemy battleship. The silhouette of the enemy battleship became more prominent as they approached at ultra-low altitude. Two large main gun turrets at the front and another sizable turret at the rear were the first things to catch his eye. Additionally, a faintly visible smokestack rose just behind the bridge. It was likely a South Dakota-class battleship.

Equipped with nine 40 cm guns and possessing formidable defenses like other American battleships, the South Dakota-class was a formidable foe. Even the combined forces of the Nagato and Fusō class battleships would find it difficult to defeat. In the Imperial Navy without battleships, there was no surface vessel capable of engaging in a one-on-one duel with the South Dakota-class. The Myōkō-class heavy cruisers, Takao-class heavy cruisers, and the Mogami-class heavy cruisers armed with 23 cm guns could, at best, tear through the skin and flesh, causing bleeding. On the other hand, the 40 cm shells of the South Dakota-class could easily shatter the bones of an Imperial Navy heavy cruiser.

However...

"Battleships are indeed powerful. But aircraft are even more so. You American battleship crews, if you want to bear a grudge, bear it against the era in which you were born."

While sustaining damage, Tomonaga and his wingmen, approached the third enemy battleship with exceptional defense, aiming to drop the 1.000-kilogram aerial torpedoes at the calculated future position of the enemy ship. The cutting-edge torpedoes far surpassed the destructive power of the early Type 91 aerial torpedoes. They left a white wake as they surged beneath the sea surface, aiming to breach the side of the targeted South Dakota-class battleship. To avoid getting entangled in enemy anti-aircraft fire, Tomonaga, flying at ultra-low altitude, attempted to disengage after releasing the torpedo. At that moment, the voice of his rear-seat subordinate reached his ears.

"Water columns on the port side, one, two more. On the starboard side, water columns, one, two more."

It seemed that the Hiryū and Sōryū squadrons of the Second Fleet had each hit three torpedoes, totaling six hits. Escaping the effective range of the enemy's anti-aircraft fire, a relieved Tomonaga received reports of the achievements of each squadron.

"The Nagato, Ise, and Hyūga squadrons report six hits on the enemy's first and second ships, the targets are listing and sinking is imminent."

"The Mutsu, Yamashiro, and Fusō squadrons report seven torpedoes on the South Dakota-class. It's already capsized, and sinking is imminent."

"Fourth Fleet reports seven torpedo hits on the new battleship, sinking is imminent."

"Shōkaku and Zuikaku squadrons report eleven torpedo hits on the enemy, sinking is imminent."

"Kamikaku and Amakaku squadrons report ten torpedo hits on the sixth ship, it's sinking from the bow."

Tomonaga was leading the Second Fleet with the fewest operational Tenzan, but they still managed to hit the enemy battleship with a fatal number of torpedoes, there was no worry about other squadrons failing to deliver. Satisfied with the reports of his subordinates' achievements, Tomonaga felt a sense of relief but also tightened his focus. He couldn't afford to perform poorly, getting shot down by enemy carrier planes during the return trip after attacking the enemy fleet or encountering unexpected enemy aircraft. Their mission as the attack group was to return safely to the mother ship.