Chapter 37 - Battleship Ise

The effect of the newly equipped radar rangefinder was dramatic. Although conventional optical rangefinders could achieve reasonable accuracy in their infancy, they had difficulties in measuring distances. Japanese optical technology was clearly lagging behind that of the West, and atmospheric fluctuations and water vapor rising from the sea easily affected distance measurements. In other words, when it came to the performance of optical rangefinders, the Imperial Navy's equipment was only average. However, the radar rangefinder overcame these challenges or weaknesses, providing a significant improvement.

Furthermore, with the Third Fleet's efforts to secure air superiority, observation planes were freely used. There have been no reports of mechanical troubles with the radar rangefinder, which was a cause for concern. At an early stage, the battleship Ise successfully scored hits on the enemy's third ship, seemingly of the Tennessee-class, taking the initiative. While credit must be given to the efforts and dedication of the artillery department and other crewmen for obtaining hits before the enemy, it is undeniable that the use of observation planes and new tactics and technologies such as radar rangefinders played a significant role.

Each time the main guns of the Ise roared, smoke rose on the enemy's third ship. The bridge staff cheered at this sight, but their joy did not last long. The enemy's sixth shot created giant water pillars on both sides of the Ise. Late in the game, the opponent had also narrowed its spread.

Rear Admiral Yamaguchi of the 2nd Battleship Division, in front of his subordinates, maintained a stoic expression but felt his confidence wane internally. The enemy's third ship, with its thick hull providing a stable firing platform, had the advantage. Moreover, by maintaining a lower speed, the engine room's short length allowed the main gun turrets to be positioned in the less affected central part of the ship. Additionally, it undoubtedly possessed excellent firing control equipment and well-trained crew members. Even without the use of observation planes, it managed to keep pace with the Ise.

"The American battleships are stronger than I imagined," Yamaguchi praised in his thoughts.

If the Ise had been equipped with conventional 36 cm guns instead of the 41 cm guns, the hits obtained so far might have been repelled by the unique thick armor of American battleships. If the radar rangefinder had not been put into practical use, the Ise would likely have been at a disadvantage in taking the initiative. The decision to limit the number of battleships and instead prioritize budget allocation to technological developments, such as fire control systems, had indeed saved the Ise. Now, it was expected to be a battle of exchanging main gun shells. The Ise would receive the baptism of 36 cm shells, and the enemy's third ship would be pounded with eight 41 cm shells.

"We've won," Yamaguchi was convinced of the victory of the Ise amid the clashes between Japanese and American battleships. Certainly, the 36 cm shells from the enemy's third ship would cause considerable damage to the Ise's superstructure in the future. In some cases, the hull might also suffer damage.

However, with less than 700 kilograms, the 36 cm shells could not penetrate the vital parts of the Ise, which had been reinforced to withstand 40 cm gun attacks during its refit. On the other hand, the 41 cm shells weighing over 1.000 kilograms possessed the power to easily penetrate the armor of battleships equipped with 36 cm guns. The enemy's third ship could cut through the Ise's flesh and skin, but it couldn't break its bones. If the Ise were to be forced into bleed to death, a considerable number of shells would need to be fired. In contrast, the Ise could thrust a 41 cm shell into the enemy's vital areas with a single blow. Depending on the hit location, there was a slim possibility of achieving a sinking with one shot, but it was a hopeful prospect.

The battle proceeded almost as expected: while the Ise fired two shots, the enemy's third ship hit with three shots. Although the enemy's third ship surpassed in the number of hits, the Ise clearly excelled in destructive power per shot. Furthermore, the armor covering the vital parts of the Ise managed to withstand the 36 cm shells fired by the enemy's third ship, albeit just barely.

On the other hand, despite the renowned defensive capabilities of the American battleship, it couldn't fully withstand the 41 cm shells. The thick armor protecting the vital parts was pierced, and the 41 cm shells barreled into the engine room, unleashing their explosive power one after another. The tide turned decisively when the 41 cm shells detonated all the turbines and half of the boilers of the enemy's third ship. The enemy's third ship began emitting thick smoke, enough to conceal its hull. However, Yamaguchi showed no mercy. Whether it was due to the smoke emitted by his own ship or the sudden instability in the enemy's third ship's targeting, the Ise continued to pound it with 41 cm shells. This relentless bombardment persisted until the enemy's third ship's gunfire came to a complete halt.