Chapter 40 - New Mobile Unit

The Philippines relief operation by the Pacific Fleet had already been decided to be canceled. This decision was not surprising since the Pacific Fleet had suffered a crushing defeat in the Battle of Wake Island, losing eight battleships, two aircraft carriers, as well as numerous cruisers and destroyers. However, this information became a highly classified matter known only to a very small number of individuals within the United States government and military. If this were to be known to the American public, the impact would be too significant. The Pacific Fleet, heavily damaged in the Battle of Wake Island, is currently in the process of rebuilding with reinforcements from the Atlantic Fleet.

On the other hand, the Japanese did not seem to be waiting for this. Currently, a fleet with significant firepower is showing signs of movement. It is the Second Fleet, centered around four Sōryū-class aircraft carriers. This Second Fleet, right at the beginning of the war, attacked the US military bases in the Philippines, annihilating the majority of the US air power stationed there in just two days. It is an extremely dangerous mobile task force. Deciphering the rapid attacks of the Japanese military was easy. Japan, with decisively inferior national power compared to the United States, is aiming for a short-term decisive battle.

To respond to the rapid offensive of the Japanese military, the staff at the headquarters of the Pacific Fleet were tirelessly working on countermeasures every day. Admiral Nimitz, who took over as the Commander-in-Chief of the Pacific Fleet after the death of Admiral Kimmel, is also working tirelessly to deal with the Japanese fleet. Nevertheless, the destination of the Japanese military was already known. Although the First and Third Fleets of Japan achieved significant results in the Battle of Wake Island, it is known that they suffered considerable damage, with half of the aircraft carriers and all battleships currently under repair. Furthermore, a large number of damaged cruisers and destroyers are expected. Considering this, invading Oahu was logically unthinkable.

While the Second Fleet is a powerful mobile task force, it is unlikely that it has the strength to simultaneously deal with the airbase and battleship fleet at Oahu, as well as the aircraft carrier fleet. If that's the case, the next target for those advancing eastwards can only be Midway Atoll, considering the process of elimination.

The forces to confront them are already gathering in Pearl Harbor. With the exception of some, such as the aircraft carrier Saratoga, most of the ships have been brought in from the Atlantic, expedited at express speed. Among these ships, the three aircraft carriers that stand out are the Yorktown and Hornet, sisters of the ill-fated Enterprise that met an untimely end in the Battle of Wake Island, and the somewhat smaller Wasp. On the other hand, battleships were absent. This is because clearing the Atlantic of battleships was not feasible, and, above all, Nimitz prioritized assigning aircraft carriers to the Pacific Fleet. In response to these expectations, the US Navy has fulfilled the request, reallocating all regular aircraft carriers except for the Ranger to the Pacific Fleet.

The four aircraft carriers, along with eight cruisers and twenty-four destroyers carefully selected by Nimitz, will set sail soon. The expected Japanese forces are estimated to include around seven to eight carriers, accompanied by approximately thirty to forty cruisers and destroyers.

The Pacific Fleet, inferior in strength, is lying in wait for the Japanese fleet at Midway. Its main force is the highly mobile aircraft carrier task force. In addition, as much submarine strength as possible is also deployed in the same area. At Midway base, there are seven Marine Corps F4F Wildcat and twenty F2A Buffalo fighters. In addition to this, the Army hastily dispatched twelve P-40 fighters. The Army claimed it could send more P-40s, but due to the limited capacity of the airfield, further reinforcements were difficult. About 50 aircraft with anti-ship attack capabilities, such as dive bombers, twin-engine bombers, and four-engine heavy bombers, are already deployed on the island. Furthermore, around thirty seaplanes for patrol and crew rescue are also stationed on the island.

Before the sortie, Nimitz held a meeting with Admiral Fletcher, commander of Task Force 17, and Admiral Spruance, commander of Task Force 16, where he requested two things: One is to target only enemy aircraft carriers. And the other is to retreat immediately if the situation becomes dangerous.

For the Pacific Fleet, which lost the Enterprise and Lexington in the Battle of Wake Island at the beginning of the war, aircraft carriers are more valuable than jewels. On the other hand, the option to avoid a battle with the Japanese fleet is not given to the Pacific Fleet. This is because President Roosevelt sought achievements that could offset the defeat in the Battle of Wake Island and the inevitable loss of the Philippines in the near future.

Task Force 17

- Yorktown (27 × F4Fs, 36 × SBDs, 15 × TBDs)

- Wasp (27 × F4Fs, 36 × SBDs, 9 × TBDs)

- 3 heavy cruisers, 1 light cruiser, 12 destroyers

Task Force 16

- Hornet (27 × F4Fs, 36 × SBDs, 15 × TBDs)

- Saratoga (27 × F4Fs, 36 × SBDs, 15 × TBDs)

- 3 heavy cruisers, 1 light cruiser, 12 destroyers