Chapter 30 - Pursuit

Thanks to the efforts of multiple Type 97 reconnaissance planes that maintained contact throughout the night, the movements of the Pacific Fleet were known. Ten destroyers formed an outer perimeter, surrounding six heavy cruisers and five destroyers. These destroyers were originally assigned to escort the two sunken American aircraft carriers but now included cruisers and destroyers that had been reassigned from the battleship fleet for support. Originally, the American carrier task force had twelve destroyers, and an additional eight destroyers from the battleship fleet were engaged in rescue operations. However, the current situation indicated that only fifteen destroyers remained. It was likely that the five heavily damaged destroyers were either futilely sinking or had been disposed of.

In the center, none of the six cruisers and five destroyers were unscathed. All of them bore vivid damage marks from the D3A dive bombers' strikes. Some had their main gun turrets blown off, while others had missing smokestacks. Even the undamaged destroyers were crowded with survivors on their decks, either rescued or awaiting rescue from other ships. This, too, must have significantly hindered their combat capabilities. Therefore, launching an attack now would have made it easy to destroy the remnants of the battered American carrier task force. Sinking these ships would undoubtedly cause considerable human damage to the Pacific Fleet, including valuable personnel essential for carrier operations, such as crew members, maintenance staff, and weapon and aircraft handlers.

However, orders to attack them had not been issued. This was because an intact force was observed to their west. It was an unmistakable battleship fleet of the Pacific Fleet, consisting of eight battleships and cruisers, as well as sixteen destroyers, arranged in a neat formation, demonstrating the high level of training of the entire Pacific Fleet. The battleship force of the Pacific Fleet seemed to be seeking a decisive battle with the friendly fleet, as their bows were pointed westward.

Lieutenant Commander Shimazaki, the commander of the torpedo bomber squadron launched from the carrier Zuikaku, awaited the start of the attack while overseeing the main force of the Pacific Fleet below. By the end of the first attack yesterday, the operational aircraft had been reduced to 49 for the dive bombers and 37 for the torpedo bombers. Through overnight repairs by maintenance crews, the numbers had now been restored to 68. There were 31 dive bombers and 37 torpedo bombers. All D3As carried 25 bombs, and all B5Ns were equipped with Type 91 aerial torpedoes. At the beginning of the battle, the three carriers of the Third Fleet had a total of 144 dive bombers and torpedo bombers. This force had now decreased to less than half. However, with 68 planes, it was still possible to inflict significant damage on the American fleet. In addition, the escorting Zero fighter squadron was not only responsible for protecting the dive bombers and torpedo bombers but also actively sought to eliminate enemy reconnaissance planes if they appeared.

In the corner of Shimazaki's vision, he could already see the First Fleet approaching the enemy. A magnificent fleet consisting of six battleships, four heavy cruisers, and twelve destroyers. However, compared to the main force of the Pacific Fleet, it couldn't help but look somewhat inferior. In particular, there was a double gap in the number of cruisers. Therefore, to bridge this disparity in strength, the second attack group had to destroy as many American ships as possible. For this reason, the First Fleet had maintained a suitable distance from the Pacific Fleet until dawn.

The allocation of attack targets had already been decided. All of the dive bombers and the Amakaku torpedo bomber squadron would attack the four cruisers and eight destroyers on the left flank, the Shōkaku torpedo bombers would attack the seventh enemy battleship, and the Zuikaku torpedo bombers would attack the eighth enemy battleship. The First Fleet seemed to want to face the enemy battleships on equal terms in a gunfire and torpedo battle.

Turning frequently outside the range of enemy anti-aircraft fire, the signal for the start of the attack, "Tora, Tora, Tora," was issued from the flagship of the First Fleet, the Nagato. As if waiting for it, the D3As and the Amakaku torpedo bombers simultaneously dove at the four American cruisers and eight American destroyers on the left wing. Following them were the twelve aircraft from the Zuikaku torpedo bombers led by Shimazaki and the thirteen planes from the Shōkaku torpedo bombers targeting the seventh battleship. The high-angle and dual-purpose guns of the American cruisers and destroyers on the left wing began to spew fire. The D3As pierced through the surrounding black clouds and transitioned into a diving maneuver. This marked the beginning of the final and fiercest battle of the series of engagements known as the Battle of Wake Island.