Chapter 34 - Battleship vs Battleship

Among the four Brooklyn-class light cruisers and eight destroyers on the left flank, all light cruisers and half of the destroyers suffered severe damage from enemy carrier-based aircraft attacks. Two of the defeated light cruisers had large holes torn into their sides by enemy torpedo bombers, completely depriving them of their mobility. Four destroyers, hit directly by bombs likely of 500-pound category, significantly lost their combat capabilities. The remaining four destroyers that escaped the enemy carrier aircraft attacks were engaged in rescuing their damaged comrades, making them unavailable for combat.

Therefore, among the high-speed force, only twelve ships on the right flank were usable. These four New Orleans-class heavy cruisers and eight destroyers, without hesitation, faced the approaching high-speed Japanese vessels to intercept them. Whether the friendly heavy cruisers and destroyers, facing numerical inferiority, were overturning their disadvantage and fighting in an advantageous position or struggling was unclear. However, it could only be assumed that they were fighting well, considering the absence of Japanese cruisers and destroyers advancing toward them.

Pushing such a situational analysis to the back of his mind, Admiral Kimmel, commanding the Pacific Fleet, redirected his attention to the Japanese battleships that had accepted the parallel course battle. Like the fast fleet, the battleship fleet had also suffered significant damage from Japanese carrier aircraft attacks. The seventh ship Arizona and the eighth ship Nevada at the rear were sunk after being attacked by Japanese torpedo bombers. The Arizona was hit by four torpedoes, and the Nevada was hit by three, all concentrated on one side. Arizona sank quickly, and despite Nevada's efforts, she succumbed to the rushing seawater invading through the breach left by the torpedoes.

So, at present, Kimmel had only six battleships left. Called the "Big Seven" and considered the strongest until the new battleships were commissioned, they included West Virginia and Maryland with 40 cm guns, and Tennessee and California, along with Oklahoma and Pennsylvania, armed with 36 cm guns. In total, the presence of sixteen 40 cm guns and forty-six 36 cm guns had become Kimmel's only source of confidence.

In the previous battles, the Pacific Fleet had lost the aircraft carriers Enterprise and Lexington and had two battleships sunk. On the other hand, the damage inflicted on the Japanese fleet had so far been limited to the destruction of two aircraft carriers. For Kimmel, there was no way to regain lost ground except by sinking as many Japanese battleships as possible to balance the scales. Therefore, despite the intense battle that was about to begin with the Japanese battleships accepting his challenge and transitioning to a parallel course, he felt a sense of relief.

"Targets: West Virginia to the first ship, Maryland to the second ship, Tennessee to the third ship, California to the fourth ship, Oklahoma to the fifth ship, Pennsylvania to the sixth ship."

While instructing each ship on their targets, Kimmel was already convinced of victory. Nagato and Mutsu both carried eight 40 cm guns, and their firepower was on par with West Virginia and Maryland. Moreover, while West Virginia and Maryland were originally designed as battleships with 36 cm guns, Nagato and Mutsu were presumed to have been designed from the beginning with 40 cm guns, giving them the edge in terms of defense. However, while the battleships armed with 40 cm guns might be evenly matched or slightly disadvantaged, those with 36 cm guns had a significant advantage. Except for the Oklahoma, which carried ten 36 cm guns, the other three ships all had twelve of the same guns, and Tennessee and California even had long-barreled guns with high muzzle velocity.

On the other hand, Japan's four Fusō-class battleships had high defense and mobility, but their eight 36 cm guns were considered weak. While both sides had sixteen 40 cm guns, regarding the 36 cm guns, the Americans had a significant advantage with 46 compared to Japan's 32. Until the friendly ships with superior 36 cm guns pounded the four Fusō-class battleships, if West Virginia and Maryland could hold their own against Nagato and Mutsu, the battle would end in victory for the Pacific Fleet.

"I have no words of gratitude for accepting my challenge. But, Koga, you've made a big mistake. If the number of battleships is equal, there's no chance for your inferior force."

Expressing gratitude to the enemy commander who provided him with an opportunity for honor and redemption in his heart, Kimmel ignited his fighting spirit. However, he was completely mistaken.