Chapter 55 - Admiral Mitscher

"Does the mobile fleet, centered around four aircraft carriers, also have two groups of mobile units with four aircraft carriers each, and furthermore, is there even a fleet with six aircraft carriers behind the fleet that possesses four aircraft carriers?"

Upon hearing the organization of the Japanese fleet conveyed by the aviation staff, Admiral Marc Mitscher, commander of the Fifth Fleet, expressed his disbelief with a skeptical growl. The Pacific Fleet's intelligence estimated that the maximum number of Japanese aircraft carriers would be twelve at most. The regular aircraft carriers, the Shōkaku and Sōryū classes, along with the light aircraft carrier Chitose-class, each had four carriers. However, if one were to believe the report of the aviation staff, there were allegedly eighteen carriers, an increase of fifty percent.

"The Flying Fortresses conducting reconnaissance missions at Midway, as well as our reconnaissance bombing squadrons from the fleet, have reported similar findings. The SBDs that provided the reports are all veteran pairs with excellent solo navigation skills, and even the B-17, despite having a large number of crew members and the unfamiliarity of the Army with ship identification, would not mistake an aircraft carrier for other types of vessels."

In the face of Mitscher's expression of one hundred percent suspicion, the aviation staff, who successfully eliminated emotional bias more than anyone else, carefully stated the facts without showing any signs of agitation. Before the war, both the commanders of the Fifth and Seventh Fleets assumed that Japan had at most twelve aircraft carriers, estimating the aircraft on board to be no more than 700 to 800. However, if there were indeed eighteen carriers, the number of aircraft on these carriers would easily exceed one thousand. Moreover, just before this information was received, news had arrived that Midway base had suffered a severe blow from an air raid.

The situation was dire. However, it was still odd. The Pacific Fleet's intelligence should not have overlooked the fact that Japan possessed six newly built aircraft carriers. At that moment, Mitscher suddenly realized.

"Was there a battleship among the discovered Japanese fleet?"

Distracted by the number of aircraft carriers, they had lumped battleships and cruisers, whether they were battleships or cruisers, into a single category as escort vessels for aircraft carriers. However, if the Japanese Navy had not engaged in the new construction of aircraft carriers and instead focused its shipbuilding capabilities on converting existing ships into aircraft carriers. In fact, they had a track record of converting seaplane tenders like the Chitose and Chiyoda, as well as ships like the Mizuho and Nisshin, into aircraft carriers.

The Japanese Navy owned six battleships, consisting of two Nagato-class and four Fusō-class ships. And this time, the Japanese fleet had sent six more aircraft carriers to the vicinity of Midway than expected.

"There is only a report stating that there are many cruisers and destroyers as escort vessels for aircraft carriers, and there is no confirmation regarding battleships."

The aviation staff likely sensed what Mitscher was concerned about. Their face paled slightly. The conversion of battleships into aircraft carriers was not uncommon; it could even be considered popular. The United States had the Lexington-class, the UK had the HMS Eagle, and even the French, a major land power, once owned the Béarn.

However, Japan did not have a track record of converting battleships into aircraft carriers. Moreover, compared to the United States and the United Kingdom, they had significantly fewer battleships. It seemed unlikely that they would deliberately convert such valuable assets into aircraft carriers. Furthermore, even if they claimed to convert battleships into aircraft carriers, the cost would be comparable to building a small cruiser, and it would take as much time and effort. Moreover, both the Nagato and Fusō classes were outdated ships built before the disarmament treaties. Considering their remaining service life, it would be more cost-effective to build new aircraft carriers.

However, the current situation was wartime. Old-fashioned battleship-converted aircraft carriers, readily available for use, were more useful than high-performance new aircraft carriers not currently available. Moreover, both the Nagato and Fusō classes were fast battleships. In the first place, it was strange to think about it.

Since the beginning of the Battle of Wake Island, the Japanese Navy had not deployed battleships to the battlefield. Despite suffering considerable damage in the artillery duel with American battleships in the same naval battle, the fact that all ships had been silent for more than a year was too unnatural. And, there was nothing more accurate than a bad hunch or a bad prediction. Conversely, nothing betrayed one more than wishful thinking. Mitscher did not want to admit it, but he still had confidence in his own speculation. And he gave the order.

"Recognize the enemy's aircraft carriers as eighteen. Send out the attack squadrons immediately. And, the attack should be broad and thin. Target only the carriers. However, do not insist on sinking them. Just disable their flight decks or create a large hole in the side of the hull to deprive them of operating the planes. Issue a charge order to the Seventh Fleet as well. While their aircraft carrier force is formidable, their surface striking force is weak. We will find a way out there!"