Chapter 58 - Tenzan

"The Second Fleet to the left flank, the Fourth Fleet to the right flank, and the First Fleet attack the center."

Lieutenant Commander Tomonaga, who succinctly issued the instructions for the first attack, straightforwardly directed the Hiryū and Sōryū squadrons to the carrier group on the left flank. Among the three groups of the identified American task force, the left and right carrier groups each had one regular aircraft carrier and two light carriers, while the central group had two regular aircraft carriers and one light carrier.

Therefore, Tomonaga entrusted the attack on the central mobile fleet to the largest and most powerful First Fleet, consisting of 108 Tenzan, while the Second and Fourth Fleets, each with 54 Tenzan, attacked the left and right mobile fleets. The Hiryū and Sōryū attack squadrons targeting the left carrier group were equipped with 1.000-kilogram aerial torpedoes with reinforced warheads by the first and second squadrons, and the third squadron carried sixteen 60 kg bombs each.

"Third squadrons of Hiryū and Sōryū, target the destroyers forming the vanguard of the circular formation. After the attack by the same squadron, Sōryū squadron attacks the large front-facing carriers, Hiryū first squadron attacks the left rear, and the second squadron attacks the right rear of the small carriers."

As soon as Tomonaga spoke, the third squadrons of Hiryū and Sōryū separated into sections and began their descent towards the six destroyers positioned at the front of the circular formation. Although destroyers on the outer perimeter, difficult to receive support from their friendly ships, had high individual anti-air capabilities due to the numerous dual-purpose guns, machine guns, and anti-aircraft guns loaded on board. The 12,7 cm dual-purpose guns, 40 mm cannons, and 20 mm cannons all launched their firepower grandly toward the Tenzan.

Even though the Tenzan were significantly more equipped with bulletproof equipment than the B5N torpedo bombers, a direct hit from this anti-aircraft firepower would be fatal. Even a near miss from high-explosive anti-aircraft shells could be deadly depending on the distance. In an attempt to reduce damage, the Tenzan conducted rapid, low-altitude bombing runs. However, even with this tactic, one plane was hit directly by anti-aircraft fire before releasing its bombs, exploding in flames. Another plane was engulfed in the fragments of a near miss from an anti-aircraft shell and crashed into the sea.

Nevertheless, the remaining sixteen Tenzan showed no signs of hesitation. Each squadron dropped their bombs on the destroyers. For destroyers, essentially defenseless against the rain of 60-kilogram bombs, even if only one-tenth to one-fifth of the payload hit, it was enough to cause serious damage. Smoke billowed from the six destroyers in the front, and the following ships turned urgently to avoid collisions after losing speed due to damage. Taking advantage of this opportunity, the torpedo-equipped 36 Tenzan did not miss the chance as the circular formation completely collapsed.

Tomonaga, along with the subordinates of the Hiryū first squadron, closed in on the left rear of the light carriers. The ideal situation would be a pincer attack from both the left and right with no escape routes, but due to the limited number of aircraft, all planes attacked from the port side. Tracer rounds fired from the targeted light carriers approached violently, more intense than one would expect from carriers of that size. Before reaching the firing point, one plane was slammed into the sea by a near miss from a high-explosive anti-aircraft shell, and immediately after releasing torpedoes, another plane disintegrated under a shower of machine gun bullets. The surviving seven planes skillfully maneuvered to evade around the bow and stern of the light carriers.

"A water column! There's another!"

In response to the scout's jubilant report, Tomonaga only acknowledged with a brief response. There was no time for Tomonaga to revel in the joy of torpedo hits. Even though the circular formation had already collapsed, there were still some undamaged ships. These ships were firing shells in revenge against the aircraft carriers, making it impossible to abandon ultra-low-altitude flight. Even a slight rise in altitude would expose them to a hail of bullets. Still, having finally escaped the enemy's effective range, Tomonaga increased altitude and surveyed the left-wing carrier group, his target.

"The Sōryū squadron has certainly sunk one regular carrier and two light carriers. Six destroyers destroyed."

Ordering the scout in the rear seat to transmit the results, Tomonaga turned the nose of the plane to the west while keeping an eye on all directions. On the battlefield, one never knew when or where an unexpected enemy attack could occur. Although the Shiden was on alert, Tomonaga couldn't afford to let his guard down.