Chapter 28 - Second Wave

Among the two aircraft carriers, Kamikaku and Amakaku, which were hit, the damaged Kamikaku with a destroyed bridge was escorted to the rear by the destroyers Kasumi and Arare. The flight deck of Kamikaku was undamaged, and there were no hindrances to the takeoff and landing of planes. However, losing the bridge significantly impaired command and communication capabilities. Furthermore, the loss of the bridge and the blown-off smokestack affected the engine. Considering the difficulties in maneuvering and navigation, continuing the battle was deemed challenging.

On the other hand, Amakaku suffered considerable damage on the port side's non-armored section from a 1.000-pound bomb. However, the centerline of the armored ship was intact, allowing for the full operation of aircraft takeoff and landing. As a result, Amakaku, along with undamaged Shōkaku and Zuikaku, continued the battle against the Pacific Fleet.

"The first attack group sank Yorktown and Lexington class aircraft carriers, destroyed six heavy and large light cruisers, and additionally sank or damaged ten destroyers. On the other hand, our Zero fighter squadrons intercepted approximately 130 American planes that attacked us, shooting down over 100. Since all the Pacific Fleet carriers were sunk, it is presumed that the surviving carrier-based aircraft have already gone under the sea. As for our losses, the first attack group that attacked the enemy carrier task force lost 15 dive bombers and 11 torpedo bombers, and nine Zero fighters engaged in air defense have not returned. Also, the aircraft from the damaged Kamikaku, which was moved to the rear, are distributed among the other three carriers. Many of these planes surprisingly suffered damage, and we are expediting the repair of those with minor damage."

Nodding in response to the air staff officer's report, Vice Admiral Kuwabara, the commander of the Third Fleet, turned to the operations staff officer.

"What is the situation with the Pacific Fleet, especially the movements of the battleship units?"

"They are hardly moving from their current positions. It seems they are conducting rescue operations for the survivors of the sunk ships. Additionally, the cruisers and destroyers of the carrier task force have suffered significant damage from our dive bomber squadrons, so perhaps they alone may not have enough resources for rescue operations."

Anticipating Kuwabara's question, the operations staff responded without hesitation.

"Do we know the number of available dive bombers and torpedo bombers?"

"We have 21 dive bombers and 28 torpedo bombers," the air staff officer answered immediately.

"Alright. Also, the attack squadrons will not be deployed today. The second attack will take place tomorrow, as decided when the First Fleet makes contact with the battleship units of the Pacific Fleet. This is a direct order from Vice Admiral Koga of the First Fleet. Until then, it will be tough for the maintenance crew, but please do your best to increase the number of operational aircraft as much as possible. Allow the pilots, except those assigned to anti-submarine patrols, aerial reconnaissance, and contact missions, to rest."

While issuing multiple orders, Kuwabara realized that the depletion of carrier-based aircraft in the naval air battle at sea was worse than initially anticipated. Because of the effective efforts of friendly fighter squadrons from the first attack group, carrier-based dive bombers and torpedo bombers were able to conduct bombing and torpedo attacks without any hindrance from enemy fighters during the first attack. Nevertheless, they suffered significant losses. After just one attack, the operational aircraft for torpedo bombers decreased by 40%, and for dive bombers, it fell to less than 30%.

Kuwabara earnestly wished to strike the damaged escort vessels, such as cruisers and destroyers, guarding the aircraft carriers before their damage was fully repaired. The anti-aircraft capabilities of these escort vessels far exceeded what Kuwabara himself had expected. This was evident by the visible damage marks on the returning allied planes. Almost every aircraft had sustained some level of damage, with very few returning unscathed. If they return alive, it is certain that they will be equipped with even more effective anti-aircraft weapons when they come back to the battlefield. While Kuwabara harbored these thoughts, orders are orders. Additionally, attacking with a small number of planes poses concerns, as even damaged enemies could have a considerable number of anti-aircraft weapons per aircraft. This could lead to further losses. Whether 49 planes, a combination of torpedo bombers and dive bombers, can be considered a small number is debatable, but it is undeniable that it fell somewhat short in facing the might of the Pacific Fleet.

Kuwabara cannot help but wish once again for the presence of the Second Fleet. With four Sōryū-class aircraft carriers, sinking not only the battleships of the Pacific Fleet but all ships, including auxiliary vessels, would not be an unrealistic dream. The deep-rooted distrust Kuwabara held for Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto, the commander-in-chief of the Combined Fleet, and his entourage, who executed unconventional strategies and nonchalantly engaged in the folly of dispersing forces, persisted. Nevertheless, Kuwabara focused his attention on the immediate enemy. At present, they were the only ones capable of protecting the soldiers and sailors on Wake Island.